PayPal not letting me transfer?

julia1017
Contributor
Contributor

My close friend commissioned me for a drawing a few months ago. She added me as family and friends on this app, and paid me $8.00 for the artwork I did for her. I wanted to save the money, so I didn't use PayPal for a little while so I wouldn't be tempted to spend it.

Now, I would like to use the money, but it's saying I have to accept it, which is weird because I've been paid on here before and I've never had to do that.

I clicked accept, and I follow the steps. I get taxed $0.08, because I want the money now. But then PayPal thinks I'm trying to deduct money from my bank account instead of transfer money into it, so it tells me I have insufficient funds.

Next, I tried to link my bank account to see if getting the money later would work. Everything loads when I put in my account information, but after a few seconds it gives me an error message. (I don't remember exactly what it said.)

I'm not really sure what to do in this case; I've googled the error and none of the responses on the PayPal forums are helpful in my situation.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julia1017 

You probably have to accept the money because maybe your PayPal balance is not yet a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus account balance. You get charged a 1% fee to transfer funds to a debit card as a quicker way to withdraw.

So when you accept this money you have the option to keep the funds in a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account or withdraw to a linked debit card (hence the fee) or bank account (for free) if you're not interested in maintaining a PayPal balance because you don't want to provide the 4 pieces of information PayPal asks for to have a PayPal Cash/PayPal Cash Plus account. Not sure why it thinks you're trying to add money to PayPal instead of withdrawing, but that's the key to the puzzle. Maybe it's trying to charge the withdraw fee by trying to add money? I surmise you never had a debit card or bank account linked to your PayPal account prior to needing to do this PayPal Cash/accepting money thing.

Contact customer service so they can review your account and guide you through the withdraw process:

Click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

erik11747
Contributor
Contributor

i think there is or was too much traffic going on

Login to Me Too

julia1017
Contributor
Contributor

Too much internet traffic? I don't think so, because I've tried this multiple times on multiple days.

Login to Me Too

julia1017
Contributor
Contributor

O.K., thanks?

Login to Me Too

erik11747
Contributor
Contributor

i hope your problem will be solved within a few days

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julia1017 

You probably have to accept the money because maybe your PayPal balance is not yet a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus account balance. You get charged a 1% fee to transfer funds to a debit card as a quicker way to withdraw.

So when you accept this money you have the option to keep the funds in a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account or withdraw to a linked debit card (hence the fee) or bank account (for free) if you're not interested in maintaining a PayPal balance because you don't want to provide the 4 pieces of information PayPal asks for to have a PayPal Cash/PayPal Cash Plus account. Not sure why it thinks you're trying to add money to PayPal instead of withdrawing, but that's the key to the puzzle. Maybe it's trying to charge the withdraw fee by trying to add money? I surmise you never had a debit card or bank account linked to your PayPal account prior to needing to do this PayPal Cash/accepting money thing.

Contact customer service so they can review your account and guide you through the withdraw process:

Click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

julia1017
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve always had a debit card linked to my PayPal account. Also, I’m not an adult so I cannot sign up for PayPal credit or whatever it’s called.
Login to Me Too

erik11747
Contributor
Contributor

the action is suspicious

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julia1017 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18..
Consider what your goals are in the long-term so that you don’t back yourself into a corner.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.