cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal demanding Social Security Number

SOLVED
Contributor

Re: PayPal demanding Social Security Number

Same problem here ... LONG time user of PP and all of a sudden they want my SS number. According to PP you have to exceed BOTH, $20,000 in sales AND 200 or more transactions ... I have done neither, yet they are holding $62 hostage. Perhaps they should have told me about this SS requirement BEFORE I got the 62$ payment ... not AFTER. 

PP has to realize that every government agency out there is advising people NOT to give out their SS number. I might understand if they ask for it AFTER you exceed their two limits, not before.

PP has proven a itself a business that is very hard to deal with should any dispute arise ... I can only imagine how unhelpful they would be if they have a breach and lose our data. 

Trying to decide now whether to totally stop using PP. 95% of the time I use it for payments ... which I can easily shift to a CC. 

i spoke with a representative today on chat and they stated its federal law and i asked them to link me the specific subsection(s) stating they require a PHOTO of my ss card and ID when im not a seller and no other credit card companies require this. after asking for it several times they came up with the patriot act but still couldnt provide subsections or adequate proof i need to provide said documents. i told them straight up paypal could be held liable for fraud and attempted identity theft under the Privacy Act of !974. it states "The right to be protected against unwarranted invasion of their privacy resulting from the collection, maintenance, use, or disclosure of their personal information." the only time paypal would need to collect your info is if you are a seller who does 20K+ in sales a year here or 200 items a year and thats for tax purposes. paypal is stupid if they think im gonna give up PHOTOS of my SS and ID cards.

Thanks for reaching out to the PayPal Community Forums with this concern. From what is being described here, it sounds like PayPal is asking for you to complete the Customer Identification Program to hold a PayPal balance. You may be able to withdraw funds by adding a bank account instead. Here is more information about why a customer must complete CIP to hold or use a PayPal balance to fund payments. 

• As a result of a new regulation issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington, D.C. coming into effect on April 1, 2019, we are making some changes that will affect consumers who want to hold and use balance with PayPal.
    If you want to hold and use balance, you will need a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. PayPal will offer two balance accounts: PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus. Information about both types of balance accounts can be found in the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms and Conditions.
    If you are an existing personal PayPal account holder and we have already verified your identity, we will establish and automatically link a PayPal Cash Plus account to your current PayPal account. Information about your PayPal Cash Plus account, including your balance amount, will be easily available using your existing PayPal login.
    For all other consumer PayPal account holders, if you want to hold and use balance, in addition to verifying your identity with PayPal, you will need set up a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. 
    There are no changes to any PayPal fees.

Here is a link for reference: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full?locale.x=en_US. 

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Contributor

I figured this out. You have the option to transfer the money directly to your bank account. If you choose the “free” option it takes a couple of days. No social security number needed and all that other mess PayPal was requesting.
_75 Contributor
Contributor

To he'll with PayPal. They are not getting my social security number.