PayPal demanding Social Security Number

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot process an eBay refund because PayPal is asking for my Social Security number. I don't give that out. How do I get past that screen that demands the number and process the refund?

I sell maybe 20 small items per year on eBay, very little money from it.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

adb7477
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I linked to my bank account.

However, the message reminder remains ... little bell upper right of screen.

I simply ignore the notification and continue business as usual.

I do keep receiving e-mails regarding my Paypal account is supposedly "limited".

I send those to Spam. Sometimes I forward them to Paypal who respond with a Thank you.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing ?

Login to Me Too

Temp20210302c
Contributor
Contributor
To he'll with PayPal. They are not getting my social security number.
Login to Me Too

BigBobK
Contributor
Contributor

This is Paypal's way of tracking you to see if you have outstanding funds from ANYTIME in the past owed to Paypal. It doesn't matter how long ago you went into the red with Paypal, they are going to hold any funds in your account until you give them your SSN, and then, if you do owe them money from 10+ years ago, they are going to take it from any funds in your current account.

Login to Me Too

thermite187

I also have this experience. I will NEVER provide a SSN to Paypal. Ever. Period. Ever.

They are stealing money from me by with holding it. I don't care if they report to Government or not. 

This is unacceptable. I would close my paypal account permanently before this information is provided.

Paypal may want to rethink this behavior. 

Litterally guaranteed... they will NEVER have my social.

Accounts get hacked. Websites get hacked. Experian got hacked. What makes Paypal think they can't be?

I have no faith or confidence in companies that think they need personal information like this.

This may be the permanent end to my use of Paypal if this is not fixed.

Simply unacceptable. Period.

Login to Me Too

RememberEquifax
New Community Member

I agree. Papal, this is ridiculous. You are not any better than the long list of companies that have been breached in the past. Get your head out of your bum and figure out exactly when you need this information and don't ask for it when you don't absolutely need it. Offer options that do not require you to ask for this information, even if those options are slightly less convenient for you or the customer.

Login to Me Too

jjklle
New Community Member

literally i’m trying to collect money from my mom to pay someone for an art commission and i can’t. it’s so incredibly frustrating especially since i can’t pay my friend and she only works through paypal

Login to Me Too

fraudtopait

I opened my paypal account to do one transaction because it was easier for the person sending me the money (<$500 after paypal charged me >$22). I then wanted to close my account. PayPal demanded my SS#. Which of course I was not going to give them my SS#. They do not need my personal information. They are not a trustworthy company. I filed a complaint with BBB and with the FTC. I also filed a fraud report with the SEC. The community must take action against Paypal. I also called my local state representative. No where in their data and privacy policy does it say that you need to a SS# to close an account. Furthermore, when I called in I was on hold for 1 hour before I get a hold of a live person who could not explain to me what they were going to do with my SS#. They said that they were going to use it to verify my account but, they did not say how? I have decided to start a campaign against PayPal. They are and evil and corrupt corporation that needs to be brought down. They are engaging in fraud and we need to stop them. I suggest making a complaint with the FTC and and the SEC.  We also need to build an alternative to Paypal. They do not care about their customers, and they take our fees for granted. 

Login to Me Too

tonycstech
Contributor
Contributor

In 2021 if you sell more then $600 using paypal, you have to file 1099-K

Its not 20 or 22 grand anymore. IRS got greedy as usual and now we are all forced to let the government spread it slimy tentacles into our private life of buying/selling/donating etc.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.