PayPal demanding Social Security Number

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot process an eBay refund because PayPal is asking for my Social Security number. I don't give that out. How do I get past that screen that demands the number and process the refund?

I sell maybe 20 small items per year on eBay, very little money from it.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

otuatail
Contributor
Contributor

You could try the financial ombudsman or take them to a small claims court. They would not like the publicity.

Login to Me Too

Chispita01
Contributor
Contributor
It's asking ssn now for a paypal cash account
Login to Me Too

Carlos1233
New Community Member

Wow first your costumer service skills are questionable, second I just realized its the hard way or no way so I'll say NO WAY! I'm out and I will let all my friends know about this, I don't give my SSN out and paynopal is also asking for my drivers license?? what I'm I doing here buying a house?? see ya never.

Login to Me Too

Puzzledkids
Contributor
Contributor

My son does not sell anything.  Relatives send him money this way and he uses it to buy things online.  Now he can’t access his money without providing the ssn.  Why does he need to provide the ssn now?  What changed?  Sending money is easy but the person receiving the money can’t access it.

Login to Me Too

MeghanDavis7
Contributor
Contributor

I use my account for family as well, I’m 16 and still in high school. I do commission art and paypal is the only way they can pay me and it’s the easiest way for my relatives. This is not okay!! I have money waiting I can’t even access. I would understand say it be in the hundreds or thousands or dollars but a measly $7.50 is no reason to need my ssn. Fix your app!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when you open a bank account,apply for a loan,credit card,they ask for your SS number.

for those who sell less than 20k and 20o transactions,it is a way to know you are you,we all haev to comply .

if you dont want to give away your SS number,you pretty much cant sell on Ebay as other payment processors would ask for SS number.

Login to Me Too

JacobEvans20
New Community Member

I've been using PayPal for years and accepting money from Ebay, but now all of a sudden it asks for my SSN?? Why???

Login to Me Too

MKPotluri

You pink star folks on this forum have some tone.

Banks do not accept a transfer until recipient is in full compliance - stop this nonsense.

Login to Me Too

GemaMor
You realize this is irrelevant, right? Banks and apps people use to share money between one another are different. Did that really need to be said, or can we just use our brains and think? Smh. Acting like this is some sort of military operation, violating our personal privacy over nickels and dimes, yet claiming they need it when we process $20k or 200 sales. That's a pretty claiming discrepancy to justify a major violation like this, how is this even a conversation when it's this obvious? Apples and oranges.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.