PayPal demanding Social Security Number

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot process an eBay refund because PayPal is asking for my Social Security number. I don't give that out. How do I get past that screen that demands the number and process the refund?

I sell maybe 20 small items per year on eBay, very little money from it.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

GemaMor
If they take something that's not theirs to take without consent or valid protocol, that's stealing. Please tell me there's something more than air between the ears, this one's pretty obvious here. It's not yours, you don't have consent, you don't have legal authorization, you can't steal it. Period. Smh
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You get a job and your employer needs your SS#.  The employer is not a bank but SS# is required for IRS reporting.  Sincy PayPal is a financial transfer company which deals with money received as payments (gross receipts) PayPal must have the SS# to meet federal regulations.

You choose to comply with PayPal's request or don't do business with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@LordHumungus wrote:

They want my SS# to pay someone else.  No way am I giving my Bday and SS# to some automated system.

And to those volunteers stating that you need to give an SS# to all financial institutions, PayPal is not a financial institution.  I sold a large item 2 years ago and it took over 1 year to get my money.  No protest from the purchaser, just multiple supposed lost checks and eventually no call backs from PayPal.  Had to get a lawyer and they said PayPal can pretty much do as they please with your money, they are not a bank or a financial institution and are NOT bound by the same regulations.  

pAYPAL does not have to be a bank to ask for some personal identification,if you want to use its service,then give them what they asked for,even a currency exchange place wants to see your driver license or some form of ID.

apply for a m erchant account from a bank,you get better service

Login to Me Too

Chungdubai
Contributor
Contributor

Anastasia9187
Na F that I just got scammed... I'm horrified right now! I'm still looking for help PayPal hasn't been answering all day. Paypal locked my account and mysteriously asked me for ssn ??? Then directed me to a foreign language scam pg...😭😭😭 I had my bank lock my card but now I'm worried
Login to Me Too

dougku

The whole point many of us are trying to describe to people like yourself are that people like MYSELF are trying to choose the latter option, to not do business at all.  However, I cannot even do that at this point.  I cannot even close my account or remove my last linked bank account.  Paypal rolled out this policy far after I signed up 8 years ago.  It is extremely predatory to try to capture personal data and lock use and closure of the account if the user refuses.  Nobody is trying to bypass federal law, security, or regulation, either.  I sense a class-action lawsuit forming, especially if my bank account becomes compromised during this freeze period.

Login to Me Too

BlueBunny
Contributor
Contributor
FYI... Check U.S. Tax Laws... Because for PayPal to function as a legitimate business, it is REQUIRED to report any INCOME activity to the IRS. Therefore, if Your only tax identification is your SS#, then that is the number you must legally provide to do legitimate business through PayPal or any other such business. Transactions online are not exempt from basic legal requirements! It's not PayPal, it's all those before us who have used PayPal and such, and did not report there income to the IRS!
Login to Me Too

BMichael
Actually, PayPal went out of their way, when owned by Ebay, to say they are NOT a financial institution. In fact PayPal itself still is not a financial institution, but is BACKED by another financial institution. My problem with this, is the following, when I joined PayPal, I was not asked for either my SS# or Birthdate. Now, somehow, they say they have my SS# and I must verify my identity. Yea NO! And I can still continue doing business just the way I am, but instead of being able to transfer funds to others, I must transfer to MY ACTUAL FINANCIAL INSTITUTION! You know the one I actually gave all this information to, on purpose! Perfect...carry on.
Login to Me Too

joep1
Contributor
Contributor

i am not an american citizen and don't have a social security number. i cannot use paypal anymore? Is it only for americans?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.