PayPal credit flips to Paypal alternate funding source-AUTOMATICALLY!

Cole815
Contributor
Contributor

So this happened...visited a merchant, selected an item, went to payment platform where two options for PayPal displayed.  One was just PayPal, the other was "PayPal Credit".  I selected PayPal Credit.  In the past, my limit is automatically increased on the spot if what I'm buying exceeds the available credit and if I didn't qualify for some reason it would just decline me and I'd have to use another funding source or just not continue with the purchase.

This time however, the payment began to process, appeared to stop and then I witnessed that circling processing indication again.  I didn't think anything of this and once complete my screen reflected a successful transaction.

I woke up the next day to a deficit balance in my bank account.

I called PP first, got the run around and was sent to PP Credit (Synchrony Bank), of course they were of no help.  They admitted to the declination of the credit request because I did not have the available credit line, but outside of that said they have no power to choose the alternate funding source.  It makes sense, but is so disassociated as a PayPal funding platform!

I had to go back to PP, explain the situation, inform the rep of the DIFFERENCE between credit and bank funding.  People seek to pay using credit when they do not or cannot pay with cash.  I thought this was logical common understanding...This is PayPal, is it not?  Their business is money?  They should already understand this!

So, had to stop payment at my bank...fast forward to today..PayPal is forcing the payment through another bank account!

I cannot believe this.

Be aware, things aren't the same.  The left hand operates independent of the right and..if credit is not an option PayPal will keep trying through every funding source you have listed.  You will never receive a notification from PayPal credit involving the decline either...

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cole815 

Yeah, one of the reported things that happens besides the ones you mentioned, on rare occasions, is that even after you complete checkout with PayPal Credit, the approval can be rescinded at last minute and charged to your preferred or one of your next available, valid, linked payment methods instead. Contact merchant to cancel your order and issue a refund if you do not want to go ahead with purchase but unfortunately, the process to retrieve the funds by PayPal will continue, as it is automated, even if you merchant issues a refund. Once PayPal gets the money, they will see that the transaction is canceled/refunded and will return the funds to you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cole815 

Yeah, one of the reported things that happens besides the ones you mentioned, on rare occasions, is that even after you complete checkout with PayPal Credit, the approval can be rescinded at last minute and charged to your preferred or one of your next available, valid, linked payment methods instead. Contact merchant to cancel your order and issue a refund if you do not want to go ahead with purchase but unfortunately, the process to retrieve the funds by PayPal will continue, as it is automated, even if you merchant issues a refund. Once PayPal gets the money, they will see that the transaction is canceled/refunded and will return the funds to you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cyber1234566
New Community Member
Paypal Flips
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.