PayPal asks for credit card !?! Why ?

unpleased_man
New Community Member

When ever I try to buy something off the Playstation store , PayPal asks for a credit card when I already have a sufficient balance in my account to buy my item !?! Pls help ...

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

GoldenGlimpse
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem.

I recently payed through paypal succesfully and now suddenly asks to add credit card?? I have a verified linked bank account!

So whats the fackin deal, Paypal?!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GoldenGlimpse

@unpleased_man

You can use funds in your balance but at some stage paypal will request you to add a card to act as a back up funding source and to verify your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GoldenGlimpse
Contributor
Contributor

@ kernowlass

Thanks

i have used my linked bank account numerous times without a problem.

in Wallet it says "You don't need a balance to shop or send money."  

why would i be obligated to add a credit card all of a sudden?

When i go buy such a card , i would not need paypal anymore and could simply use the card to pay online. i really don't get it.. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GoldenGlimpse

Not sure the relevance of not needing funds in your balance to send money, you don't, you can use a card or bank account.

However yes you can just use a credit card online BUT millions of sellers that accept Paypal payments can't use 'direct' credit card payments as they don't have a 'card machine' or they are not a registered business but they can accept credit cards as a Paypal funding source.

Card are more secure 'back up' funding source and for some transactions OR high risk transactions eg digital / virtual then Paypal ask you to add a card.  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ChickenFingers
New Community Member

I'm in the same boat. Won some auctions and trying to pay. I have money in my paypal balance, a recently linked and verified bank account (less than 6 weeks ago), yet paypal is unable to let me pay with my money. Now I'm paying with my CC when that is significantly more expensive for me.  I used to be able to pay from my balance just fine a week ago, now I can't. I don't get it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.