PayPal Refund Error. (Stole my money as far as i'm concerned.)

wildg
New Community Member

I requested a refund from an event that I signed up for. When the refund was issued, it was issued to a debit card that was cancelled. Also, I closed the bank account that would have been associated with that debit card. After calling PayPal the first time, they told me that my bank had accepted the refund. Having worked with debit and credit cards before, this did not make sense to me because if you issue a refund to a non-existing debit card, it would just "bounce" back to the refund issuer. Anyways, I did, and they confirmed my initial thoughts. My bank rejected the refund and sent the money back to PayPal. I have called PayPal four times trying to resolve this issue and they keep telling me that since they see the refund as being verified, they do not have the money. This does not make any sense. As far as I'm concerned, they have stolen my money. I have no idea what to do because no matter what I try to explain to customer service, they keep telling me that they can do nothing and tell me to talk to my old bank.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wildg 

If the refund failed it may have gone back to the sender ie the event venue?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.