PayPal Cancelled My Payment

helloprettyplea
Contributor
Contributor

2 days ago, I sent a payment through paypal and received an email confirming my payment was successful. I used a debit card and it was reflected in my bank account that the amount was deducted from my account. The seller forwarded me an email from paypal that I cancelled the request. When I checked my paypal account, it reflected that my payment was refunded. Is there any way for me to find out how this payment was cancelled even after it was deducted from my account? Where will the refund go if ever? I have not received the amount back but I still need the seller to receive the payment

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@helloprettyplea 

If you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded/completed it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

helloprettyplea
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass  Thank you for the response. If i may ask, what causes paypal to cancel the payment on my behalf and do this refund? So I can avoid this from happening next time. I was very surprised that the seller got an email mentioning I cancelled the payment but I never did. I only got the email that the payment was a success. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.