PAYPAL **bleep** ME OUT OF MONEY

RippedOff_1000
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed to pay local seller $300 via paypal for used appliances. I accidentally typed in wrong email address. Was able to cancel. So then used person's phone number, but it came up a different name than the one for the person I was trying to pay. Could not cancel. COULD NOT CANCEL!! Was able to pay person using correct email address. BUT, since I couldn't cancel the one using the phone number, paypal kept running through my bank account and each day when they did it, since I didn't have funds for the $300, my bank charged me $39 EVERY F#%$# TIME. OPENED TICKET, DENIED BY PAYPAL. SO PAYPAL KEEPS GETTING ME CHARGED FROM BANK. So, I go to bank and make sure Paypal can't charge my bank and now they charged my credit card. Pretty sure this could not be more intentional. Far as I'm concerned, this is nowhere near the same company I opened an account with well over a decade ago! Can't believe not only did they just deny my claim, didn't give the correct "radio buttons" to pigeon hole my problem so I could not get resolution. And actually, after contacting my bank AND credit card, paypal STILL doesn't have a way for me to end this transaction. Can't imagine anyone could tell me something to A) get me my $156 back, or B) restore my faith in such a **bleep** company. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RippedOff_1000

You can ONLY ever cancel a transaction that has been sent to an email address or phone number that that is non-existant ie a typo etc.

If you cancelled the first transaction that is fine as the email address would not have existed.

However the phone number transaction sounds as if it was a 'valid' number linked to a Paypal account and you approved and sent that payment. So Paypal went to get the funds from your bank account, if it failed they would try a few days later and if that failed they would try your back up funding source.

If you paid someone by mistake via the 'phone' transaction then you would need to open a dispute for 'non receipt of item' as they would have nothing to send you so you should get a refund AS LONG AS it was not a family / friends transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RippedOff_1000
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct. How do I get $ back from my backup source? Why was I not able to cancel this? Can't re-open as I've already been denied the transaction dispute. Can't believe this is such a problem and has been going on since the 14th of May!! And just so I can fully understand, if you send something via friends/family and there is a problem or accident, you will never recover that money? Even more reason to end my relationship with what USED to be an OK company but obviously over they years ripping people off is their M.O. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RippedOff_1000

You are correct. How do I get $ back from my backup source?

Paypal completed the transaction you sent the payment to, so you would need to open a dispute against that paypal account for item not received or whatever option applies if that person does not refund you.

Why was I not able to cancel this?

You can't have read my post above as I have already said you can ONLY cancel a payment that has been sent to a non-existant email address.

If an email address OR phone number exists then Paypal will transfer the funds as you requested (ie your phone transfer payment).

if you send something via friends/family and there is a problem or accident, you will never recover that money?

If the person that receives the funds refuses to refund you then yes you would UNLESS you funded that paypal payment via a credit card, if so your card issuer 'may' help but not always as a family / friends transfer is not a payment for goods / services but a 'gift'.

Paypal haven't ripped you off, they sent the payment you authorised to a phone number / paypal account that you told them to do.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

RippedOff_1000
Contributor
Contributor

Yes kernowlass, you have clarified things for me. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned, Paypal is still ripping people off if you can't cancel a VALID email transaction. No worries though. They won't be "not" ripping me off again. Lesson learned.  🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RippedOff_1000

Well you can't cancel a ...

1. Valid credit card transaction

2. Debit card transaction.

3. Bank transfer transaction

So why do you think you can cancel a valid paypal transaction that you authorised them to process for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.