PAYPAL *SPOTIFY <removed> GBR

NOTHAPPYJAN1508
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a member of the Australian Spotify Community and have been for nearly 10yrs. I pay a premium of $11.99 per month and the payment is made through Paypal with my preferred credit card. There has never been a problem with the payment amount and the charge has always been displayed on my bank statement as "PAYPALSPOTIFY<removed>AUS". Two months ago this changed and "PAYPALSPOTIFY<removed>GBR" started appearing on my bank statement and my bank started charging me a "foreign fee" of .35c. My questions are these:

1/ If Spotify has indeed, changed the country they are charging from then, shouldn't I have been notified before the fact, that a foreign fee would be incurred because I live in Australia?

2/ Is Paypal liable because it has let the payment go through to "PAYPALSPOTIFY<removed>GBR" instead of  the correct number, "PAYPALSPOTIFY<removed>AUS"?

My issue is not about the money, it's about the fact that the bank says talk to Spotify and an Spotify says talk to your bank. What does the number "<removed>" mean? It is the same number that comes up related to FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY when you google it.

Can anybody give me any clues as to what this number means? It has to mean something!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

mingaling10
New Community Member

Hi there OP, did you end up resolving this problem? I too have the same problem where I am being charged the foreign fee. Have called Spotify, my bank and waiting on a response from PayPal. Its only 0.35 cents but thats not the principal of the matter. Would love to hear if you have resolved this issue and how.

Login to Me Too

RHE73
Contributor
Contributor
Any update on this? I'm also experiencing the same since Oct2019 and everyone just pointing the finger (bank & spotify)
Login to Me Too

nbug
Contributor
Contributor

SAME PROBLEM since Oct 2019.  My $17.99 AUD is charded out of paypal then incurs GBR foreign fee on my bank statement.  Been on chats with Spotify and they say contact Paypal and Bank.  Bank says not the issue on their end.  Cant get a response from Paypal.  

What changed in OCT 2019??  Who can investigate this?  ANY UPDATE?

Login to Me Too

RHE73
Contributor
Contributor
The issue is definitely between Paypal and Spotify but neither will claim responsibility. I have resolved it by removing the payment from Paypal and listing my credit card in my Spotify account for direct payment. No more Foreign Bank fee!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.