Online purchase returned to brick and mortar

christmasday1
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased items online from a large retailer.using paypal.tjmaxx. I entered my local tjmaxx store to return items. They refused to refund my credit card. Only agreed to store credit. I have an image of the store policy in their favor.stating paypal returns get store credit only. Isn't this wrong?
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@christmasday1

If it was buyer remorse then you are lucky to get store credit as they don't have to refund you at all.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kamee21
Contributor
Contributor
They don't have to refund at all?? Are you speaking of just tjmaxx or all stores? And I'm still looking for an answer as to why this is. PayPal is linked to my CC and bank account. Why do I have to get store credit?
Login to Me Too

christmasday1
Contributor
Contributor
I charged my online tjmaxx transaction using my PayPal account that is linked to my visa sapphire card. I returned item to my local florida store and was told all returns paid by paypal are only permitted a store credit. Not a refund. They showed me the store policy in writing. I have image of it. Sounds ridiculous to me. Help?!
Login to Me Too

Kamee21
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry, my reply was to the other person's reply lol. I'm learning the hard way this is the case for more and more retailers like payless shoes and target. I'm super angry at PayPal but mostly at the retailers. Why??? I just don't understand why lol.
Login to Me Too

setab
Same problem. Called the 1-800 number for TJMaxx. Was told to read the fine print as well. Fool me once. Never again. I believe that they assume most buyers will be frustrated enough to just take a store credit rather than send the merchandise back. That way they keep the profit. My merchandise was immediately taken to FedX. Lesson learned. They know what they're doing.
Login to Me Too

CJRocks0709
New Community Member
Unfortunately this happened to me today. I returned at TJ Maxx after waiting 30 min in long line only to find out they give store credit only if you use pay pal. That is definitely unfair to consumers esp since there is no disclosure or warning BEFORE you make initial purchases online. It’s only disclosed on the receipt AFTER you receive your package in small print on back of the receipt. Otherwise I would’ve just charged my credit card directly (the same one that I use on PayPal coincidentally). It is so unfair because I paid Macy’s, Walmart and Target through PayPal at the same time and returned for full credit without a problem. Nevertheless I will never purchase online from TJ Max again and I will no longer use PayPal for future purchases online so I don’t have to deal with this headache. Hopefully someone else will learn from my unfortunate experience.
Login to Me Too

setab
Same problem. Called the 1-800 number for TJMaxx. Was told to read the fine print as well. Fool me once. Never again. I believe that they assume most buyers will be frustrated enough to just take a store credit rather than send the merchandise back. That way they keep the profit. My merchandise was immediately taken to FedX. Lesson learned. They know what they're doing.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.