Online purchase issues, use of funds set as preferred payment method, verified debit card back-up

Mau_
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I've been trying to make an online purchase from BigBadToyStore using my PayPal account. I have the sufficient funds in my PayPal balance, and a Debit Card associated with the account. My Billing Address is the same between the store, my debit card and my profile info, but my first and second orders got declined. This is a pretty convoluted story, but here's how I tried to solve this issue. 

• First, I set my balance as the preferred method. I did not mind choosing anything before, since the PayPal login page from the store checkout said that it would already use funds first.
  • I verified my Debit Card. I haven't tested if transactions between my PayPal balance and my Debit Card are possible yet, but I assume that is the case since its verification worked. I did this to make sure the card wasn't the cause of any of these issues

I then logged in with PayPal again and made a third order.

A few hours later I received an e-mail saying "Your way to pay with PayPal is set", which might mean it took a while for these changes to be applied properly, causing the third order to be declined this morning. I have now made a -yes, I'm really sorry for whoever is managing these payments- fourth order. It's still processing, but I figured I'd make this post anyway.

So yeah, I have no idea what's going on here. I'm in no way in a hurry to make this purchase, I'm just confused that my first time using PayPal has been so complicated, haha. Anyway, any help from here would be greatly appreciated, as I've already been enough of a burden to the store's customer service.

Edit:  My theory was correct. The fourth order did work!  No idea how to delete a post but I guess this might be helpful for whoever finds themselves in a similar situation.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Celeste

Hi @Mau_,

Welcome to the PayPal Community. First and foremost, I am sorry to hear you had to try this payment multiple times in order to complete it! Generally if your payment is declined, we recommend checking a few things on your account to help ensure the transaction can go through. I am very glad to hear your last payment was successful, but here is a great Help Center article about Why My Payment was Declined if you run into this issue again. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

- Celeste S.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.