Not sure if scam - need reply/help ASAP

cobdt123
Contributor
Contributor
I received an email that appears legit. It addresses me by my first and last name. This is what it says: We hereby give you assurance regarding the transaction between you and the buyer of your item on eBay and we hereby notify you that the total funds of $530.00 has been deducted from the buyer's account and will be fully cleared into your account as soon as we receive scratched picture of the Steam Wallet Gift Cards $400.00 from you for verification on the authenticity of the cards. We hope to hear back from you soon and sorry for all inconveniences. Note: This buyer has completed the transaction with PayPal, to this effect he/she has no right to withdraw or claim his money back. The email states has on the left: paypal (entire name logo) an ebay company. After this message, I have the shipping address of his cousin listed down. So the story is that I am selling a ps4 game on ebay for $40 with free shipping (non-auction - buy at stated price or best offer) and this notification pops up telling me to text the guy (he made a best offer of $50). We have been texting back and forth the whole day. He wants me to send the product to his cousin as a surprise present for her birthday along with $400 worth of steam cards. He offered to pay $400 for the steam cards, $50 for the game, $50 for shipping, and $30 for gas/inconvenience. He also stated that he is in a "COVID isolation centre" and had tested positive for it. Now I have to scratch the back of the card(s) and reveal the code and email it to paypal in order to make sure the product is authentic so that I can receive the payment. Does paypal do that? Here is the thing: the money that is waiting for me is not showing up on my recent activity. I am not paypal savvy and I was wondering if this was legit or not. Has anyone gone through something similar?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi @cobdt123

Welcome to the PayPal community. From reading your message I can confirm that this email is not a genuine email. We would never ask you to buy gift cards and if a payment has been sent to you you will see it on your PayPal account. Even if a payment is on hold you will still see the payment on your account. Please do not send any gift cards or the item. Also, when you are shipping an item you should only ship it to the address listed on the transaction details page on PayPal otherwise you would not be covered under our Seller protection policy. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi @cobdt123

Welcome to the PayPal community. From reading your message I can confirm that this email is not a genuine email. We would never ask you to buy gift cards and if a payment has been sent to you you will see it on your PayPal account. Even if a payment is on hold you will still see the payment on your account. Please do not send any gift cards or the item. Also, when you are shipping an item you should only ship it to the address listed on the transaction details page on PayPal otherwise you would not be covered under our Seller protection policy. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

cobdt123
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much, Paula. Luckily, the CVS I went to had anti-fraud measures. I can't believe I was almost a victim of a scam. Should I report this to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center? I am freaked out that this guy has my number.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

@cobdt123 Your are very welcome. Glad I could help. It may do no harm to report it on to them so they can take a look. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

How about givingy money back what PayPal stole 6 months ago?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.