Negative balance, was charged twice

haleighb
Contributor
Contributor

I made two purchases for a total of $85.78 and only had around 22 dollars in my bank account, so I ended up with -63.78 or around there in my account. I transferred $70 into my account and the money was taken immediately. Then a week later I was charged again for the $85.78. What happened and can I get my money back??

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@haleighb 

You made the error of adding funds to your PayPal balance instead of your bank account because PayPal will make up to 2 more attempts to get paid from your bank account. Add $85.78 to cover your insufficient bank account and the funds will be added to your PayPal balance as if you were adding money to your PayPal balance.

So if this ever happens again in the future, just remember to add funds to your bank account. Do not add funds to the PayPal balance as it won't stop PayPal making multiple attempts at your bank, its all part of the process of your bank payment and can't be stopped when initiated.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@haleighb 

You made the error of adding funds to your PayPal balance instead of your bank account because PayPal will make up to 2 more attempts to get paid from your bank account. Add $85.78 to cover your insufficient bank account and the funds will be added to your PayPal balance as if you were adding money to your PayPal balance.

So if this ever happens again in the future, just remember to add funds to your bank account. Do not add funds to the PayPal balance as it won't stop PayPal making multiple attempts at your bank, its all part of the process of your bank payment and can't be stopped when initiated.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

haleighb
Contributor
Contributor
I didn’t add any funds to my PayPal account, I only transferred the money to my bank account which was taken right away and then the second time taken again. My PayPal balance remains negative.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.