Negative Balance

xRyx_u
Contributor
Contributor

I made a payment recently with PayPal linked to my bank account. I had insufficient funds from my bank account at the time, so PP debited my PP Balance instead. Now I have a negative balance. I got an email with a request for me to resolve the negative balance ASAP. I have more than enough funds in my bank account now, so I made a transfer to my PayPal, enough to bring my negative balance back up to $0. Question is, it's currently pending and in PayPal's own system it says that the estimated arrival of this transfer is the 21st. In the email, I was told "We may reattempt to charge your bank account." Does this mean even though I already sent a transfer that should be arriving in 9 days, that PayPal will still charge my bank account, essentially double charging me? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@xRyx_u 

Yes, as paypal payments are automated then until the payment you initiated from your bank account arrives and clears the balance then paypal will keep trying.

Whichever one reaches your balance first clears the neg balance and the second 'if' requested will act as a credited amount and you can withdraw it again if you want to. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@xRyx_u 

Yes, as paypal payments are automated then until the payment you initiated from your bank account arrives and clears the balance then paypal will keep trying.

Whichever one reaches your balance first clears the neg balance and the second 'if' requested will act as a credited amount and you can withdraw it again if you want to. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sunnybeth1
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for this. I was debited for a negative balance that I don’t fully understand and it shows in my bank that it went through. I ordered another item after that using my PayPal account out of my checking and was debited in my bank again for the negative balance, causing multiple overdrafts in my checking and the inability to get groceries and gifts for kids right before Christmas. Very frustrating with overdraft fees piling up in my bank account. Do you know turn around time for disputes like these, and if PayPal is willing to refund overdraft fees or if bank must do it? Thank you for sharing your advice! Customer service is non-existent in the PayPal holiday world!
Login to Me Too

Sunnybeth1
Contributor
Contributor
I was recently double charged for my negative balance as well. I don’t understand what the negative balance if from, and was debited twice for a total of $749.29 after one went through and I thought I was safe to order again using my debit card. The transactions were $20 something and $50 something, and my bank was debited twice for $749.29 in addition to those orders.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.