Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

nosilaweir
New Community Member

This happened to me too I've reported the payments and I hope they are returned as I'm going to stop using paypal if they keep allowing this to happen

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@carrykaprin 

@nosilaweir 

@mickr67 

@JPOC 

@piotr953 

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yesatsomepoint
Contributor
Contributor
Do you have Nvidia Gforce Now, Microsoft accounts, avast, etc on a monthly payment? If so it will probably show up as digital River on payments as they process the payment on behalf other companies. You are not being ripped off, you are forgetting to cancel trials or you don't realise that digital River just takes the payment for 3rd parties on accounts you have officially set up. I worried when I saw it but it was just Nvidia.
Login to Me Too

Jodesi24
Contributor
Contributor
On the 25th of November digital river Ireland took £39.99 from my PayPal account I had no warning from them that they were taking a payment, when I looked further they took the same amount last year. It was for avast protection - 2016 I had taken out 1 years avast protection for the sum of £14.99 I received no form of contract from digital river Ireland. How do I get them to refund my money? Do I have to approach them or can PayPal help? I have been through the security on my account to prevent anything like this happening again.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jodesi24

Check if you had a subscription set up...

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

fritzzo
Contributor
Contributor

They did this to me too but debiting my credit card. It meant much effort till I finally could get in touch with them (phone nr. not working, email not working). I even got my money back and was promised that they will never again debit my credit card and that we have no business relations any loner. A month later they debited my card again (higher this time) and now all the fuzz starts again. What a shame! 

Login to Me Too

MOEMI
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there, i just had unauthorized payment to digital river ireland ltd. Don't know who they are. Any sallution?
Login to Me Too

Redwhilton

I have been deducted £59.99p from my PayPal Account to a company I've never heard of "Digital River Island", how can I retrieve this amount as it's obviously FRAUD ?

Login to Me Too

Sueslights88
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve had a payment go out to this compamy that I’ve never heard off!! I’ve asked for a refund but PayPal says it was authorised?? How do I get my money back?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sueslights88 

Digital River processes payments for various online services/subscriptions:

https://www.digitalriver.com

If you ordered online services/subscriptions like anti-virus software, graphic design programs subscriptions, Microsoft programs, etc, for instance, you may have a billing agreement set up in your automatic payments page of your PayPal account. Since these are pre-approved and set up as billing agreements, PayPal would deny the claim if it wasn't canceled prior to the charge therefore there is no billing error.

To check, go to: Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

You'll need to contact whoever you paid. There should be a PayPal email receipt for subscriptions/billing agreement payments so search for it in your email inbox according to date of transaction to find the merchant you need to contact and request a refund from.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.