Money sent to wrong email and cancelled, yet I was still charged the full amount.

frozenmarmalade
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

On the 30th August, I was requested to send 40 euros to a client, they provided me with the wrong email accidentally but I had already sent the money to that incorrect email so I cancelled it as it was unclaimed and sent it to the right address.

On the 4th Sept, I recieved a text from Santander stating that my balance was low and when I went to check why, it was because I had been charged for the payment that I had cancelled and it had not been refunded. On my PayPal activity it says the refund is pending but when I click "view more details" it says it was refunded into my PayPal balance, which is clearly false because my balance is 0 and I haven't made a single PayPal payment since.

So where is the money? It was never refunded into my balance like it said, it also was never transferred back into my bank account. I'm really quite confused as to how this has happened and I need the money to be refunded like it was supposed to before I get charged for going into overdraft.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frozenmarmalade 

Gosh you were lucky, if that mis-spelled email address was valid to another person you 'may' have lost your money !!

Luckily you could cancel, so when you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will as the transaction was cancelled return them to your funding source (if you paid from your bank account or with a card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from that balance), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frozenmarmalade 

Gosh you were lucky, if that mis-spelled email address was valid to another person you 'may' have lost your money !!

Luckily you could cancel, so when you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will as the transaction was cancelled return them to your funding source (if you paid from your bank account or with a card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from that balance), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

frozenmarmalade
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect!

I figured that may be the case but I was worried that it may not have been, and I had just lost the money to some random email address.

Thank you for your help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.