Money sent to my account

Ch3va
Contributor
Contributor
30 euros was sent to my account by someone i dont know.  The email used by the person that sent the money is has "hack-tool" in its address so i am going to assume its some sort of weird scam or hack attempt. Today i also got a email from paypal about them reviewing the payment. Is there anything i have to do here, i dont plan on touching the money obviously but are there any precautions i need to take so i dont get dragged in some legal issues ?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ch3va

Since PayPal is looking into it, there is no need to do anything. Seems like their security system caught it. I expect you should hear from PayPal soon or the payment will be removed from your account pending the outcome of the review if indeed it was fraudulent.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Ch3va
Contributor
Contributor

Update: So i checked resolution center today and paypal has decide not to return the money to whomever it belongs as they decide in my favor. What now? I got this money on my account that isn't mine and have no clue who's it is. The account that sent the money seems fishy with 'hacktool' in its address so not sure if its compromised account or something. Also if i refund do i have to pay the transfer fee, it wont be much seeing as its only 30euro but still sucks i would have to pay for this.

If i contact paypal and tell them i have no idea why this money is on my account will they then remove it and return it without any transaction fee.

Login to Me Too

Ch3va
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has not be resolved yet. I did find a mail in my spam folder from a couple weeks ago by the person that has send the money saying he sent it by accident and would like it returned. I'd be completely fine doing this but im still worried about the fact that the email used to sent me the money has 'hackingtools' in its name. Is there some known scam that would require the victim to refund money ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.