Money sent pending . . . scam?

TheQ42
New Community Member

Hello!

I'm selling my laptop to a person in FB Marketplace.  They asked me to send them a money request, and they said the following:
"Alright...My cash has been deducted from my account and it says transaction completed. Your account will be deposited once you mail the package out and get back to PayPal with the tracking number according to the notification."

Is this true?  I don't see anywhere to put a tracking number, and this sounds extremely suspicious to me.  I do see the transaction as pending, but from what I can tell, that just means she hasn't sent the money yet.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

TheQ42
New Community Member

OK, definitely a scam . . . unless anyone else thinks otherwise 🙂

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TheQ42 

It’s a scam. You should see a record of payment nevertheless, if the person really paid. Nor does PayPal hide payment from you asking for tracking number.

Tracking is optional, yet should be provided through the transaction record in your account for your safety.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TheQ42
New Community Member

Thanks for the help!  They also sent a (very) fake "confirmation" of the payment.  I've reported this person on both Facebook and PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.