Money refunded, then taken back?

juliem1997
New Community Member

Hello,

I am dealing with an absolute nightmare situation right now between Paypal and my bank. Last Sunday, an individual tried to scam me for hockey tickets. As soon as I realized what was happening, I called Paypal and had the transaction canceled. The money was refunded immediately and put directly back into my bank account without myself having to withdraw it. However, when checking my bank account yesterday, I noticed that the original transaction still posted after my money was refunded. So it is as if they gave me my money back, and then still allowed the transaction to go through, basically taking my refund away again.

It has been awful dealing with customer service representatives, as they all tell me there is "no record of this activity" on my account. Meanwhile, I have offered to provide and provided them with screenshots of my bank statement, only to have the representative end my chat after I gave this proof. I am at a loss right now and need this money back in my account. I'm not sure if it's just the way Paypal/banks work, and the transaction still technically has to process through and then refund back again, or what. I am frustrated and upset with how I have been treated by 3 different representatives, both over the phone and on the online chat, and really need some help with this. Has anyone ever experienced this? 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@juliem1997 

If the original bank payment had not completely cleared yet when you got the refund, that would explain it. With bank payments, even if the payment was refunded, the bank payment has to clear and once it's clears, it will go back to your PayPal balance and automatically withdrawn. Since you were refunded and the funds were withdrawn back to your bank, that refund has to come from somewhere. PayPal's coffers? So once the bank payment clears it goes to PayPal or whoever funded the refund to you.

Just because you were refunded, the original transaction payment, doesn't just disappear or the transaction stopped and canceled. No. It has to go through and another transaction has to occur to even it out or cancel it out in your bank account activity. 

Hope this helps you understand it all.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

juliem1997
New Community Member

@sharpiemarker that all makes sense and that is what I have been wondering about this whole mess. They refunded the money directly to my bank account after the transaction was canceled, yet the original transaction still posted after this occurred. So it's showing up on my bank statement as if they refunded me and then still took the money out to complete the transaction. I think I am going to give it a few days to see if it evens out and then contact them again and contact my actual bank to see what can be done.

Thank you for your reply.

Login to Me Too

HassanFarid1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there iv had the exact same thing happen to me. Did u manage to get your money back. If so how?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HassanFarid1 

If you funded the payment to the seller using bank transfer. What PayPal do here is credit the recipient on your behalf (so there is no delay in despatching your item). Then if you receive a refund in the meantime they are unable to issue this until the original bank transfer completes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HassanFarid1
Contributor
Contributor
So i had sent a payment through g&s but the seller had informed me they no longer had access to the account they gave to me so i had cancelled the payment. It showed the money had gone back into my account then taken back out again
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.