Money back - request of refund

Stonehill
Contributor
Contributor

I send money by mistake to a wrong person with the very same name. I found out the mistake within 5 minutes. Then I tried in panic to find a button to cancel the transaction but I did´t find any. Neither any instructions how to proceed in cases like this. Then I thought I might get help from PayPal and contact. Mail me link brings you back from where you are. No help what so ever. I´m extremely disapointed to PayPal right now.

I send a message to the person to whom I send money by mistake as he had the very same name as the the person who should have get the money. I explained the mistake and apologise asking if the person kindely could send the money back. This happend yesterday and today one day after no answeres, no refund, nothing. It seems that I lost the money forever. If there was a small delay like 30-60 minutes with the transactions on PayPal it would be easy to cancel the transaction. Anyone with similar problems? Is there anything to be done or is this it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gab27 

They can't open a dispute if it was sent friends/family.

@Stonehill 

If you sent using goods/services and it shows as complete then try opening a dispute for non receipt of item, as that person has nothing to send you then you may get a refund.

If you sent using friends/family then your only option is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then your card issuer may chargeback for you BUT that is not guaranteed as a friends/family payment is a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

gab27
Contributor
Contributor

please open a dispute resolution case immediately so that paypal can suspend payment

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gab27 

They can't open a dispute if it was sent friends/family.

@Stonehill 

If you sent using goods/services and it shows as complete then try opening a dispute for non receipt of item, as that person has nothing to send you then you may get a refund.

If you sent using friends/family then your only option is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then your card issuer may chargeback for you BUT that is not guaranteed as a friends/family payment is a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stonehill
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for advise. I really preciate that. In this case I´ve been extremely lucky as I got the money back. This was because of honesty and I´m very greatful and happy to notice that there is still good and honest people. Thank you all!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.