Merchant hold cancelled but money not returned to me

Mommymtz84
Contributor
Contributor
I recently stayed at a hotel and swiped my card for the 1 night stay and paid $111.61. Before I left the hotel the next day I had another charge listed for $223.21 but was assured by hotel staff that this was an authorization and it would be removed promptly. Almost a week later I recieved another notification of yet another charge of $111.61. Each time PayPal immediately deducted said amounts from my available balance. I have since spoken to the hotel and they have cancelled the two extra holds they had placed but I can not get PayPal to return the money to my balance. The only way I can speak to someone right now is thru the chat feature and the only thing they keep telling me is the money has been returned but it most DEFINETLY has not. In fact, when looking at my activity page one can definetly see that the only time my balance has gone up after these holds were placed was when I added cash or recieved payments from friends/family! I have no idea what to do or where to go from here other than hire an attorney so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mommymtz84 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent.
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.
6. Pending awaiting authorisation.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jill2182
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is still pending but it says payment.  i have two separate ones on hold from 2 hotels 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.