Lyft using wrong payment method

jcb72
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal account has two payment methods: (1) credit card, (2) debit of my bank checking account. The credit card is designated as the primary (default) payment method.

I've recently used Lyft, on which I have an account in which PayPal is designated as the payment method for rides. In the past, such Lyft rides have been charged to the credit card, as desired. The past several times, however, Lyft has debited my checking account. I've made no changes to either my PayPal settings or to my Lyft settings.

Purchases through other services via PayPal continue to properly be charged to my credit card, as desired.

Is this an issue with PayPal or with Lyft? If the problem is with PayPal, how do I get it to go back to charging my credit card when I use Lyft?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey jcb72,

Oh no! It sounds like your card may be being denied or declined upon the attempt to charge it, which would cause the billing agreement to default to your checking account. Regrettably, there isn't any way to bypass this, as it's part of our internal security gauging risk with the transaction. Hopefully this information helps.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

jcb72
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, that's not it. I've used the credit card repeatedly, both before and after the referenced problem, and it has never been declined. I'm thinking the problem might be at Lyft.

Login to Me Too

cmmartin0275
Contributor
Contributor
Im having the same issue and not just with Lyft. I use my credit card through PayPal all the time, as well, its definitey not being declined. Ive noticed its actually happening to other services, Spotify is one, I connected with PayPal before I changed my primary payment method from my checking to my credit card in PayPal. As a software engineer, that makes me think its an issue with the existing options updating on change.
Login to Me Too

claria
New Community Member

I'm not sure why it would have changed by itself if it was working previously, but I had the same problem until I went to Settings (gear at top right) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments. I clicked Lyft and saw that Payment Method said "Bank or credit card" (or something to that effect). I changed it to specifically use the credit card I wanted. I haven't taken another Lyft ride to test it yet, but hopefully that would fix the problem?

You can also get to the relevant settings page by going to your Activity tab, selecting any Lyft transaction, and then clicking the link "Manage Lyft payments".

Login to Me Too

Ben2334
New Community Member
This is exactly what was the problem. Fixed. It was pay pal auto payment not Lyft. I went to auto payments clicked Lyft and changed it easily.
Login to Me Too

Akeel_A
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get any further with your problem? Because I have the same issue with Lyft right now
Login to Me Too

Akeel_A
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I can’t pay weth lyft actually
Login to Me Too

Ben2334
New Community Member
Go to PayPal. Setting for auto pay, click Lyft and change it there. It will be set then.
Login to Me Too

Mercerizer
New Community Member
Has there been no resolution? Happens to me continually.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.