Is this a scam

TJ9999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I've received a payment from an unknown person and they have emailed me directly to ask for a refund. how could they have my email address and pay the wrong person? Also if I refund the money will there be any fees payable by me

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Paypal_Ashley1

Hello @TJ9999!

Welcome to the PayPal Community Board. This can certainly be a bit concerning. When it comes to PayPal, the email address will act as the PayPal account number. In this case, the individual may have accidentally entered your email address in error, prompting them to contact you and request a refund. You do have the option to refund the amount, but any selling fees deducted would be retained. If you decide to issue a refund, you may want to refer to https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-issue-a-refund-faq780. 

- Ashley

If you find this or any other post was useful or helpful, feel free to make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.