Is this a scam??

britt579
Contributor
Contributor

I received this email after selling my computer on facebook:

DEAR (my name),
 We want to bring to your notice that the transaction between you and (buyer name) is safe and legitimate. We would like to inform you that you have just been paid 
$900.00
. The fund will reflect into your PayPal account as soon as the item is shipped out and the Shipment info has been confirmed.

Note: Your fund is with us until we have receive the shipment receipt  from you for confirmation before your PayPal account will be credited.  Your payment will be instantly credited when we have finally confirmed the shipment receipt. Below is your transfer status.

Does paypal make you send tracking info to get money??
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

rnatividad
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @britt579 

Scam. 

While it is true that PayPal may ask you to send tracking numbers in some cases before your money can be available, the transaction should at least appear on your activity.In addition to this, you will not be asked to send a tracking number by email. Check your transaction history in the app. If you don't see the payment, it didn't happen.

You can forward this email to spoof@paypal.com for to report this to PayPal. You can also review this Help Center article to know more about spam emails.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.