Is this a scam?

ishan22
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold a pair of shoes on eBay. I contacted the buyer and he said along with the shoes he wants a steam gift card to be delivered as well.I told him I will only buy the gift card only when I received the money for the shoes AND the gift card through Paypal. And he said ok with that.Am I in risk on being scam even when i clearly said i only buy the gift card when i received the payment?Is there a way to fake the money i received through Paypal perhaps?Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ishan22 

Oh yes, 100% scam, ignore and delete any emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ishan22 

Be very careful they often send you FAKE paypal emails telling you the buyer has paid and you must send the item trackable BEFORE the funds show in your balance which is NOT true.

Also the emails often go in your spam folder.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ishan22
Contributor
Contributor
Hey there thanks for responding ,I've gotten an email from my spam from paypal and ebay saying i need to show the receipt for the gift card first before the payment go through,I believe this is the type of scam u are talking about right?
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ishan22 

Oh yes, 100% scam, ignore and delete any emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ishan22
Contributor
Contributor
Hey man,just wondering,if the buyer says there are confirmation emails in my spam,and the they are from the bank saying that the payment will only go through if you provide the item tracking details,can this be legit or another scam
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ishan22 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ishan22
Contributor
Contributor
How other internationally banks(specifically raffeisem bank)?do they have this kind of method where u need to give the tracking number 1st before the payment goes through?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ishan22 

I thought you were buying by Paypal?

If so then the senders bank has nothing to do with it.

Sorry but i have told you its a scam and given you details, I can do no more.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ishan22
Contributor
Contributor
No worries man,thank u so much for ur help,really appreciate it,I just confirm with the bank,yep it is a scam, is just I'm tired cuz this is like my 2nd time this happened. Once again,I'm really grateful for people like you, wish people like you exist more.thank u so much and please do stay safe,and take care of yourself ,be happy
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.