Is it worth trying to contact paypal support directly over lingering authorizations???

urbcannibal
New Community Member

I bought gas twice this week using my Paypal account that was linked to Google Pay. The problem is that there are two pending authorizations lingering as open that have matching posted transactions. Basically, the purchases have posted, but there are separate authorizations hanging on my account. Its not the end of the world, but was a bit annoying since paypal withdrew money from my checking account to cover the duplicated charges (things like this have **bleep** up my auto bill pays before, so I'm a bit paranoid about this kind of thing) 

Should I even try contacting support? Am i doomed to just wait 30 days? I'm 99.9 percent sure trying to go back to the gas station to get them to cancel the authorizations will be a waste of time. I know paypal says they don't mess with authorizations, but i feel like in this case the matching posted charges from the same days and times should make it pretty obvious that I already paid for the goods, and I'm not just trying to get something for nothing

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@urbcannibal 

They will expire on it's own and drop off from your pending list eventually but no longer than 30 days like you say. Then funds will then be released. Even if the merchant cancel its, I have a feel it will remain since these are temporary charges and are not captured by the merchant. I had it happen with a cup of coffee. I took the card out early so they ran the card again and I saw 2 pendings. I went to the counter to enquire and their POS system only showed one transaction. You just have to wait these things out which I did and only one payment was captured and the other pending transaction just expired and dropped off from my PayPal activity in a few to several days.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.