Is it safe to stop pending payments?

paddle1
Contributor
Contributor

eBay said the purchase I made was to a compromised eBay account and I want to stop it from the bank since it's still pending but I don't want PayPal to cause issues and block my bank or something. Especially since there are other purchases I'd like to use PayPal for. I also heard that PayPal will reattempt a purchase if an eCheck fails to clear the first time. I don't even know if that applies here since I never saw the word eCheck. My bank will only allow me one free payment stop so if PayPal reattempts it will be pointless and a waste of time.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paddle1 wrote:

eBay said the purchase I made was to a compromised eBay account and I want to stop it from the bank since it's still pending but I don't want PayPal to cause issues and block my bank or something. Especially since there are other purchases I'd like to use PayPal for. I also heard that PayPal will reattempt a purchase if an eCheck fails to clear the first time. I don't even know if that applies here since I never saw the word eCheck. My bank will only allow me one free payment stop so if PayPal reattempts it will be pointless and a waste of time.

Open an item not received case in eBay Purchase History but only when the delivery estimate date indicated has passed. eBay will then see that the account is compromised and cover you via eBay Money Back Guarantee protection. If that fails, then you open a PayPal dispute on the payment for Item Not Received. You have 180 days from date of payment to do so. These are the ways to do it without PayPal blocking your bank account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

paddle1
Contributor
Contributor

So PayPal will take my money to give it to a scammer or block my bank account? I don't find that reasonable. There isn't even a delivery date on eBay, it just says payment is pending.

Login to Me Too

paddle1
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

@paddle1 wrote:

Open an item not received case in eBay Purchase History but only when the delivery estimate date indicated has passed. eBay will then see that the account is compromised and cover you via eBay Money Back Guarantee protection. If that fails, then you open a PayPal dispute on the payment for Item Not Received. You have 180 days from date of payment to do so. These are the ways to do it without PayPal blocking your bank account.

Update: The money was removed from my account so it's too late to stop. It hasn't shown up on eBay or PayPal yet. I just filed for "item not received" as instructed so we'll see what happens next. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

paddle1
Contributor
Contributor

Update 2: This was sooner then expected as I didn't even have to wait for a shipping estimate to appear or 3 business days for the seller to respond. Just 4 minutes after filing the case was closed. The amount paid from my PayPal balance has been refunded but the money out of my bank account is neither in the bank or PayPal. It seems the refund was issued before PayPal even received the pending funds. It says the refund is pending, I'll keep the thread updated.

Login to Me Too

paddle1
Contributor
Contributor

Final update: Today PayPal refunded the amount to my bank account. If anybody else is in this situation I recommend opening a case right away for fastest results. Thanks for reading.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.