Is it safe to give this person my email address?

ryangenie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm selling my phone for £1000.

I have received the two emails below and can't decide whether the passing on of my email address is safe.

I know about scam emails showing payment when there has been no payment made, so I'd probably ignore any response like that anyway.

What I need to know really is:

- if the payment is made and is visible in my PayPal account, can the buyer recall that payment if I've moved it to another account?

- can the person asking for my address use it for any other purpose that I should be concerned about?

Help appreciated

1. I’d like to know what you would happy with,I’m terrible at offering
Thanks

Response from me:

Hi,

I had a quick look on Magic Magpie and they’re quite expensive for the same phone. Although I know people who’ve purchased from Magic Magpie and had some very well looked after phones sent to them. 

I will obviously have to pay eBay and PayPal about 11% of whatever the final selling price is.

I wasn’t expecting £1000 if I’m honest, but the phone is in really good condition and I expect is still under Apples’ warranty until Oct this year. 

Have you looked at similar phones on eBay for a price comparison?

Regards,

Ryan

Regards,

Ryan

2. I've got £950 + £9 in mind for dispatch to Birmingham B20 3JJ,Advise me your PayPal email, Regards.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Dmitriyy
Contributor
Contributor
Using email or phone number is pretty common thing. No worries there, but yes they can take the money back. It has happened to me before. Person claiming unauthorized charge etc. I suggest you save the conversation between you too incase you need to provide proof later. If its a scam. keep your mailing receipt too, tho the addresses could be different. Scammers can be tricky but can be traced to their real paypal if they use fakes. Paypal has print shipping label and more tools you can use to your advantage. I would create invoice in paypal and send it to the person. Paypal will investigate things faster and you will be safer and get ur money still even if a scammer is behind it. Leaving a trail on paypal when selling something is a good thing. Just don't mail out ur phone even if the money comes in. You need to link them together so it doesn't turn into he said she said kinda thing. Then its your words vs his and if you can't prove with just words, you definitely can with a paper trail.
Login to Me Too

Dmitriyy
Contributor
Contributor
Oh and selling it through ebay is 100% safer then giving ur paypal email out. Its 13% in fees combined.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.