Is Permissions Service getting deprecated entirely?

lackdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out what services are still allowed in scope for setting up NVP/SOAP or REST permissions services.

I'm doing an e-commerce platform trying and trying to perform payments on behalf of our merchants after granting of permissions. Seems like Express Checkout is already deprecated and the NVP/SOAP portal is getting shut down though. Are there any solutions in the Paypal product roadmap that is now addressing this area?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

MTS_Andre

Hi, did you get any specific issue/error and on which API/method used?
NVP/SOAP ExpressCheckout is still on, no plans to shut it down at the moment.

Login to Me Too

lackdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @MTS_Andre for the response. That's good information but I don't seem to be able to sign up for new NVP/SOAP app credentials.

I followed the "manage NVP/SOAP applications" from dashboard to these:

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 2.43.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-02 at 2.43.48 PM.png

Do you have any advice for new users on how to get their NVP/SOAP apps up and running? I've tested on the sandbox environment fairly extensively.

Regards,

Seth

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

That is referring to the Adaptive Payments APIs, which are now closed and only available for specific uses cases, usually by PayPal Partners.  If you're using this Permissions Service that would not require an App ID.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

jamie_ie
Contributor
Contributor

@angelleye wrote:

That is referring to the Adaptive Payments APIs, which are now closed and only available for specific uses cases, usually by PayPal Partners.  If you're using this Permissions Service that would not require an App ID.

Really? Because I've been using the Permissions service for about two years, with an App ID, and the example requests include an App ID. Is the App ID really not required?

Because I need to change our App name (following a recent rebrand) and I can neither edit our existing app nor create another one 

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Sorry for the confusion. That permissions API you're referring to is indeed on the Adaptive platform, so yes, it would require that App ID.

The newer Permissions API that I linked to is based on the REST service, so it uses the REST APP details instead of Adaptive.

Login to Me Too

jamie_ie
Contributor
Contributor

@angelleye wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. That permissions API you're referring to is indeed on the Adaptive platform, so yes, it would require that App ID.

The newer Permissions API that I linked to is based on the REST service, so it uses the REST APP details instead of Adaptive.

But didn't we link to exactly the same Permissions API? I don't see any Permissions API listed under the REST APIs. And REST apps have a "client id" not an "app id".

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.  The documentation in the developer site is a little bit tough to navigate lately and I accidentally sent you the wrong link.

I know they have one for REST because I'm using it in some of my projects, but I'll have to dig into that and get back to you because I can't find it on the dev site.  It may be something that they've hidden and is only available to partners at this point.  😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.