Irate buyer getting angry at me over a refund that says 'Pending' at his end.

TamRobbo
Contributor
Contributor

We both agreed to cancel an Ebay sale. I put the money into my Paypal account then sent him a refund. He keeps badgering me and accusing me of not sending a refund and then today, he said it says pending so now is accusing me of not having money in my account. The money was taken the instant I clicked confirm refund. I'm getting sick of him to be honest. I've shown him first a picture of the refund with transaction ID. Then today have showed him my payment in and out history to show I had the funds in. Is there any reason it says pending his end? Thankyou.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TamRobbo

Your buyer has paid you and probably 'funded' that payment from his bank account.

That bank account transfer takes about a week (paypal use the slowest cheapest transfer options).

Because it takes that long paypal always CREDIT the seller the funds.

So now you have paypals credited funds but you make a refund.

Paypal will then put the refund as 'pending' until the buyers initial payment has cleared through to paypal when as a refund has been issued the pending status is released and the refund completed.

This link should explain it.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/i-paid-by-instant-bank-transfer,-so-why-is-my-refund-on-...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TamRobbo

Pending refunds can only happen for two reasons.

1. The seller has issued a refund from their bank account which takes time to process.

2. You funded the payment to the seller using bank transfer. What PayPal do here is credit the recipient on your behalf (so there is no delay in despatching your item). Then if you receive a refund in the meantime they are unable to issue this until the original bank transfer completes.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-want-a-refund.-how-do-refunds-work-faq3248
https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/i-paid-by-instant-bank-transfer,-so-why-is-my-refund-on-h...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TamRobbo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply. But the refund is not coming from my bank. It was in Paypal when I issued the refund.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TamRobbo

Thats why I gave you 2 reasons why it could be pending.

If its not due to option 1 then it would be option 2..........read the links.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TamRobbo
Contributor
Contributor

First link doesn't work.

I'm trying to understand. So, even though I first send money from my bank to Paypal and then send refund after, it still takes 5 to 7 days? I expected it to be instant.Thanks.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TamRobbo

Your buyer has paid you and probably 'funded' that payment from his bank account.

That bank account transfer takes about a week (paypal use the slowest cheapest transfer options).

Because it takes that long paypal always CREDIT the seller the funds.

So now you have paypals credited funds but you make a refund.

Paypal will then put the refund as 'pending' until the buyers initial payment has cleared through to paypal when as a refund has been issued the pending status is released and the refund completed.

This link should explain it.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/i-paid-by-instant-bank-transfer,-so-why-is-my-refund-on-...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TamRobbo
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou for the full explanation 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.