I've sent money as a 'gift' how am I protected?

francesca-r
Contributor
Contributor
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_barry

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance. On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is no Buyer or Seller Protection Policy, as no goods or services have been exchanged.

Login to Me Too

francesca-r
Contributor
Contributor

There was a payment fee of £3.50 that i had to pay. I know i have little protection by sending the money as a 'gift. But surely with all the emails i have from the seller that said if i send the money as a gift i will receive the item, there is something that can be done?

Is there any way that paypal have the persons details?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Unfortunately not, no. There's no legal agreement in place where we can start reversing payments sent as gifts. We might be able to investigate the sellers account and shut it down if we have evidence of them breaching the user agreement but that would still not give us the right to reverse the payment.

You might want to look down the card protection or legal route for something like this.

Login to Me Too

Rpmoranjr
New Community Member
After reading above I am curious as how I just had a woman purchase 3 items from me (not on ebay) and she requested to send as a gift waiving her right for protection because she wanted to save the money I would pay as a fee and have her items price reduced. I sent her 3 items. She returned one item 16 days later after traveling with the item in her suitcase, mailing it back not in it's original packaging (this was brand new when I sent still in its plastic with tags) and was destroyed when I received it. She made a claim through PayPal and they have held the full amount (for the 3 items) in my account. Please let me know how this can happen when money was gifted? Where is my protection here?
Login to Me Too

DrZZZ
New Community Member

So what happend?  did she keep your money? 

I often have people asking me to mail items that I have posted on gumtree, saying that they will send the money first with paypal. now I think I won't risk it.

Login to Me Too

smooth1977
New Community Member

Paypal is one sided on this. I sent two tires to a guy and he got them while I was on the phone with him. He had buyers remorse and filed a claim wih PayPal that he never recieved them. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back. I had confirmation that he recieved the product at the "PayPal Verified Address" and since the drop shipper didnt require a signature they told me I didnt have a leg to stand one. From now own I will require a signature and yes will cost me more money to do that. They never held him accountable and he got free tires. $430 worth. I am ok now cause PayPal made it right. 

Login to Me Too

lseitz1996

Hi!

Im in a similar situation with that I've sent money to someone as a "gift" but actually never recieved my items. How did you get your money back?

Login to Me Too

tommy_d23
Contributor
Contributor

I received money as a gift (didn't know if was sent this way at the time as the transaction detail did not explain this).  The sender also sent an email from their account in short asking me to send them a Western Union Check for the same amount.  The Sender account was a business I had purchased from in the past and since I recieved both payment as well as an email from their personal account I thought it was valid (I also asked them to verify some additional info).

Once I sent the Western Union money the funds were removed from my account as the sender filed an unauthorized transaction claim.  Now I am stuck with a loss of $300.  As the sender's account was the one that was compromised and I thought it was the sender who sent the funds and I sent the Western Union money in their name, am I responsible to take the $300 loss?  Their account was compromised and misued to defraud me and I am now at a loss. Please let me know how this is possible. 

Also, paypal did not allow me to submit any evidence to show my side of the case and how I was scammed through their system.

Login to Me Too

LisaCorpus
Contributor
Contributor
I had over $ 6 million dollars in my Paypal account. So, I emailed PayPal to transfer $ 5 million dollars into my bank account. Bank claims that no tranfer was ever done. But, PayPal claims that they did the transfer already, and funds were subtracted out of my Paypal account. So, now I'm missing not only the $5 million dollars, but all my money was all missing. For a total of $6 million dollars was all missing now. What happened to all of my money??? $6 million dollars.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.