I think I have been scammed

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item on the 12th January a camera lens  830 pounds the next day first i had an email saying it had been sent, 10 minutes later an email saying the payment had been refunded but is pending. I have now had the following email from paypal quote  , An eCheck payment from ****** was declined by the sender's bank. We will automatically try to process this payment again in 3 working days. It then usually takes 3-5 days for the money to be deposited into your account. Please do not ship items until you receive payment. eCheck details: Amount: £830.00 GBP sender: **** Sender's email: @****@aol.com.

I didnt sell this item I was trying to buy it. When I try to open a dispute via paypal it says it cant do it because I recieved the money?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you're having with this transaction.

I can't speak for eBay, but if the listing was removed, it is possible that the seller had a run of issues with multiple transactions that resulted in reports to eBay, and eBay removed the listings to prevent further loss wherever possible.

If the claim is still open in the Resolution Center, you have a couple of options. You can reach out to customer service to get clarification regarding the current status and the expectation regarding that failed refund, or you can allow the claim to run its course and see if the refund is reinitiated as a result of the claim. If it is not, you can reach out to customer service when the case is closed to inquire instead.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I know this has been frustrating. While it certainly could be a scam, it's also possible that the seller initially tried to do the right thing with a refund and that refund failed due to lack of funds in their payment method. That's never a good experience for any party, and it may simply take time to resolve everything.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I dont understand this....

(and see if the refund is re initiated as a result of the claim. If it is not, you can reach out to customer service when the case is closed to inquire instead.)

My understanding is paypal provides buyer protection providing the purchase is made through ebay. It was so I should and expect to receive a refund from paypal, without my having to chase it.

Is this not the case?

Roy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

In a situation where there is a case found in the buyer's favor, the refund will come from the seller whenever possible. In the very rare case that the refund cannot be funded by the seller, PayPal will cover it for Buyer Protection, assuming that the transaction is eligible. If the initial refund was not part of a claim, then the claim has to be completed in order to get the refund. If the case is closed in your favor, the refund will happen. Should there be any unexpected difficulty, there's always the option of contacting customer service. You're correct that you should not have to chase down a refund in a situation where a case is closed in your favor, but I wanted you to know that there are options for the extremely rare case that something goes wrong.

I hope this helps clarify.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia

I am really finding this a very difficult and strange situation.

I have  updates firstly the first echeck (started 12th Jan)was declined after 2  attempts by payapl.

to collect

Then on 21st Jan it said refund cancelled...the same day it said there was an echeck pending refund (another one started 21st Jan) today 23rd Jan I had the following email...

Dear Roy <removed>,
An eCheck payment from ***** was declined by the sender's bank. We will automatically try to process this payment again in 3 working days. It then usually takes 3-5 days for the money to be deposited into your account. Please do not ship items until you receive payment. (Its a refund not a sale??)?

This is now the second time we have been through this. How many times can someone start an echeck payment only  for it to be declined. This could go on forever???

Is there some way I can get this sorted directly, not via facebook or any other secondary way. Very unsatisfactory

Roy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

It sounds like the refund was funded by eCheck, and the eCheck was declined. Was this a refund that the seller provided outside of the case, or has the case been decided in your favor. If the case has not yet been closed, please wait for the case to run its course, as a refund will come one way or the other if the case is closed in your favor. if the case is already closed in your favor and the refund issue is still up in the air, then I recommend contacting customer service. I regret that there is no more direct way than the contact options on the Contact page or the social media options.

I hope this can be straightened out quickly!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I dont think so...justrecieved this 

Dear Roy <removed>,

We received the claim(s) you opened on 14 January 2020.

We've reviewed the transaction(s) and are denying your claim(s). refund previously issued.

We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

Learn More about PayPal Purchase Protection

Find out how your purchases are protected and how we investigate claims by clicking Security at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

Transaction information:

Dispute Case ID: PP-D-52477765 

Transaction Amount: £830.00 GBP 

Dispute Amount: £830.00 GBP 

Transaction ID: 99034181S6050081S 

Transaction Date: 12 January 2020

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

I paid for an item. through ebay/paypal not received it or a refund this is NOT acceptable. Where is buyer protection????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

I'm sorry to hear that the claim was denied based on a failed refund. Please reach out to customer service to explain that the refund was not successful.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying that and cant find any way to do it neither contact us or facebook it is quite disgusting. I am quite able to deal with things online as well. Goodness help anyone who cant.

I am seriously considering going to the press over this.

There is not a simple way to contact the resolution centre.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

I'm sorry that you're having a difficult experience. If the social media option is not acceptable to you, I recommend using the option to call. The phone number and a verification code will be displayed if you log in, and you will be able to have a real-time discussion with a representative who can look at your account and provide account-specific assistance.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that the claim was denied based on a failed refund

Yes and if it had been investigated anything like properly it should have been very clear to them.

Even if they read their own emails sent to me

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.