I think I have been scammed

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item on the 12th January a camera lens  830 pounds the next day first i had an email saying it had been sent, 10 minutes later an email saying the payment had been refunded but is pending. I have now had the following email from paypal quote  , An eCheck payment from ****** was declined by the sender's bank. We will automatically try to process this payment again in 3 working days. It then usually takes 3-5 days for the money to be deposited into your account. Please do not ship items until you receive payment. eCheck details: Amount: £830.00 GBP sender: **** Sender's email: @****@aol.com.

I didnt sell this item I was trying to buy it. When I try to open a dispute via paypal it says it cant do it because I recieved the money?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @the-photographe,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting in relation to this issue. 

It sounds like this seller is attempting to refund you by sending you a payment by e-cheque. You cannot open a claim on that payment as it was money sent to you but you can open a case on the original payment and choose to refund the amount sent to you by e-cheque. 

By opening a PayPal dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out the problem. If you're unable to resolve your dispute with the seller, and you have taken all steps to come to a resolution, you may then escalate your dispute to a claim.

You can open two types of disputes with PayPal:

• 'Non Receipt' (for items you have not received) please wait a reasonable period for your item to arrive.
  • 'Significantly Not As Described' (for items that significantly differ from the original item description).

To open a dispute on a transaction, please follow the steps below:

1. Locate the payment in your 'Activity'.
  2. Select the payment to open the Transactions Details.
  3. Click Report a problem near the bottom of the summary.
  4. Select the type of issue you experienced.
  5. Select the details of your issue and enter the refund amount you're requesting.
  6. Click Submit.

You have 180 days after the date of the payment to open a dispute. A dispute can be escalated to a claim by either party within 20 days of the dispute being filed, at which point we'll investigate and decide the outcome.

If you wish to refund the payment you have received you can do it as below:

1. Click Activity near the top of the page.
  2. Select the payment to open the Transactions Details.
  3. Click Refund This Payment.

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply Rachael.

All seems rather complicated to me.

I paid the seller, he decided not to sell Obviously then he refunds the money, which is not clearing.

So if understand correctly.

1. I refund the money I have not yet received?

2. I then ask the seller to refund (which he tried to do via echeque already but clearly doesn't have the funds) or send the item (who I have tried too contact already 4 times.

3. I then have to submit a dispute claim if no reply (which there wont be)

4. I then have to wait for weeks for Paypal to decide whether to refund my money?

Is this correct?

Roy

Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Rachael

Also, there is no where I can refund his refund?

I have opened a none receipt of goods dispute now.

Roy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jenny

@the-photographe 

Thanks for the updates. If the refund didn't arrive through eCheque, you did well opening a not receipt claim. Make sure to escalate the dispute to a claim, if the seller doesn't answer. Once it is escalated, the merchant will have 10 days to respond to PayPal. If they don't send the item or they don't answer, the claim will be automatically closed on the 11th day, and you will receive a notification by email. 

I hope this helps,

Jenny 

Se hai trovato utile questa risposta, lascia per cortesia un Kudos o accettala come soluzione. Il tuo contributo nel forum aiuta altri utenti.
Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jenny

Thank you for your very quick response, much appreciated.

So I opened the dispute on the 14th January currently it says this is the status.

You filed the case Jan 14

We're reviewing the information This usually takes 5 days (which is now up)

Estimated case resolution Jan 29

What's happening with your case?

We're reviewing your case and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do I  have to wait until paypal get back in touch after review or can I escalate into claim? if so how long to wait until I do this.

I will try to contact the seller once more.

Roy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

Is there an option to escalate it, or is it already escalated? If there's an option to escalate, you can absolutely do that and it should be done within the allotted time frame for doing so. If it's already escalated, you can just watch for updates.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia

I can find no option to escalate on the resolution page. So what do I do now, I dont want the time to elapse.

Roy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @the-photographe,

If there's no option to escalate and the messaging says that PayPal is reviewing it, it sounds like it's already been escalated! At this point, it would just be a matter of time while the case is under review before you receive an update. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

the-photographe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia

I have today had an email from paypal saying the following

Dear Roy <removed>,

A refund by ******* was not processed successfully.

Please contact the sender of this refund for more information.

I have contacted the seller 5 times now. What do I do next as it is still showing as being reviewed in the resolution centre after 7 days with no movement.

Also can you explain why ebay removed the listing as per this

We removed this listing from the site. For more information and next steps go to Messages. For information about delivery, view your order details.

Nothing at all in the messages.

I am getting rather concerned and fed up now.

Have been buying and selling on ebay for  years. I expect better service

Roy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.