I sent money to wrong email address!

jbuzancic
New Community Member

Hello, 

So i sent money to wrong email address. Money was sent as Friends and family, it was supposed to go to my friend( we are collecting money for him). I opened Dispute on Paypal but it was closed. And i tryed Calling support center but today is closed.
And my friend really needs money.
So please if you could help me i would be gratefull!!

Sincerely,

J.Buzancic

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbuzancic

If its marked as unclaimed with a cancel option then you can cancel it.

If its marked as unclaimed WITHOUT a cancel option then as long as no one claims it then it will time out at 30 days.

If however it is marked as completed then all you can do is to email that email address you sent it to and hope that the person is kind enough to refund it back to you.

Paypal can only ask the person as well, they can't dip into her account and help themselves and you can't open a dispute as it was not a purchase and you sent a ''gift'' to someone.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jbuzancic
New Community Member

he completed transaction, and he wont refund me.

So basicly i can say bye bye to my money???

Where is PayPal support when you need one...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbuzancic

If its completed and they won't refund then yes you have lost your money.

You sent a ''gift'' to someone and you can't ask for gift payments back again.

It would be illegal for paypal to take a payment from someones account unless you bought something and did not receive it.

As for paypal support they give a lot of support but they can't double check email addresses for you before you send payments, I guess they presume you could do that for yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Chauntemr
Contributor
Contributor
My situation is very similar in that I sent my payment to the correct phone number that was registered by another person with a PayPal account. It actually does not show up confirmed to who the money will actually be sent to until after it's complete. This is such a scam being that there is no way to cancel or reverse the transaction. In the event that PayPal has already sent the money you have thousands of people I'm sure out of money because you leave it up to the sender to try to retrieve the money. Instead of canceling the transaction before it is completed. I will be closing my account with PayPal of nine years if I am ever able to resolve this issue. It has cost almost as much trying to resolve this issue than the amount of money that I would have lost. Currently I am awaiting assistance from someone and have been on the phone for literally 46 minutes and I'm sure it's a high possibility this won't be resolved and my account will remain negative PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chauntemr

Its no different than using online banking and accidentally paying money into a wrong account number, the bank would also not be able to force the other person to give it back, so presumably you would close your bank account as well would you?

If you are not capable of typing and checking an email address or phone number is correct when you send money then why should paypal have to do it for you?

If you sent the money as goods / services then you can open a dispute.

If you sent the money as friends / family then your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a card then try your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you, but they equally may not do so if they know it was a 'gift' payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Chauntemr
Contributor
Contributor
I'm going to post this last response and then I'm going to drop the topic because obviously you posters are being unempathetic and naive to the fact that databases can be updated with the correct information. I did not send my money to the wrong telephone number. PayPal fails to update their databases on a timely basis especially when they allow users to use phone numbers to activate accounts when phone numbers are turned off very frequently which is a known fact by everyone. The money that I sent went to the correct phone number however there was no way of verifying exactly the name of the recipient before it was sent. Which led to the money being sent to the wrong recipient. There was no mistake on my end that number is currently correctly used by the person that I intended. The incorrect is that the number is still recorded as being in use for PayPal by another recipient. I've since resolved the issue on my end. You guys are the ones that end up out of money now. I'm over it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chauntemr

Err why would we end up out of money?? You weren't sending it to one of us  Smiley Wink

Glad you got it sorted.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SRazee80
Contributor
Contributor
WOW..!!.. REALLY..!!!... This can really happen? I'm totally new to using PayPal although I set up an account in 2016. I'm not at all tech savvy or computer savvy hence my reasoning for not using online pay methods of any type. I have recently been really interested to finally getting up to date W/the rest of the world and finally make things easier by using PayPal. But this isn't looking as if PayPal is making things “Easier" as all my friends say.. Anyways I was searching for something entirely different when I came across this feed of yours. I am actually grateful I have come across this. It has put in perspective how certain things work within PayPal. I don't know all of the rules in regards to posting on here. So my apologies if I'm not suppose to voice my thoughts or opinions in regards to people’s posts. I'm OBVIOUSLY just learning, on my own, which isn't always the best method for me. Lol. I really needed to reply to your post so u could have a better understanding. Let me get to the point finally and I will warm you and everyone this is going to be incredibly long. Thank you for taking the time to review this if you did fact do so. Ok let day first that I ABSOLUTELY see your point in regards to PayPal and how they should make more of an effort to reverse the transaction. How the person who was responding to your posts could not see your point and realize that the fault did not solely lye with you alone, if at all truthfully. It's clearly a technical issues and fault lies more so with both the previous owner of the phone number and with PayPal if I'm following the gist of your entire situation correctly. Also if when sending money all u need is a cell phone number without have any other method for a 2nd step to secure it's being sent to the intended target. Never done it so idk. If I am correct as far as what I think transpired I do not think I'll be even starting my journey here with PayPal. Let me regurgitate what I swallowed.. lol Bear with me please. Ok so your saying that u sent a friend money, that friend has a current cell phone number that she in fact is using currently correct? BUT being that number has PREVIOUSLY been in use by another PayPal user that has yet to change her current cell phone number and delete her old cell number, which now is your friends number, the money somehow got sent to the previous owner. Being that THE PREVIOUS OWNER of that cell number NOR PAYPAL themselves HAVE UPDATED their systems or accounts is the reason this all transpired to begin with. It's directly due to the NEGLIGENCE OF THE PREVIOUS OWNER, AS WELL AS THE NEGLIGENCE OF PAYPAL as well. Again I'm unsure what other steps you could have taken or should have taken to assure the information was current and accurate because on your end it was current and accurate, on their end unfortunately it was not. But how is that your job to do? How would you even know this? I needed to clarify so I can fully understand it all and confirm the details correct. If all of what I said is how it did go down then YES I TOTALLY THINK FAULT LIES WITH 1.) THE PREVIOUS OWNER FOR NOT UPDATING HIS/HER ACCT. BUT ALSO 2.) WITH PAYPAL BECAUSE steps need to be implemented in SPECIFIC situations such as this. Ppl changing contact numbers is a constant thing in today's day and age. This happens on a regular and consistent basis. There has to be a way in which PayPal can reverse the transaction,. Either by contacting the person directly via email but this would have to take place within a certain window of time before the person had a chance to collect it. Which truthfully I see the dilemma in trying to reverse a transaction that in most cases would already be withdrawn if any real length of time were to of passed. SO SORRY FOR THIS BOOK I WROTE. HONESTLY I AM THAT TAKEN-ABACK BY ALL OF THIS.. Truthfully regardless if it's sent as a gift or otherwise. If the money was not sent to and received by the intended person then there should be measures to correct this successfully. KNOWING THAT SUCH NEEDED MEASURES ARE NOT BEING TAKEN in cases like this is really concerning. I will now be extra vigilant and have someone walk me through it until I get the hang of it myself. I guess better safe then sorry. I want to say thank you so much for sharing this it's really brought much needed attention to an area that needs some addressing.. This type of thing can happen a lot especially due to so many ppl changing their numbers so offer as they seem to do. So it's past due for things to be implemented and put into place for occurances such as this. Thanks again
Login to Me Too

MrBigshot
I sent money to a family members phone number and only found out after the money was sent that the phone number was registered to another paypal acct. PayPal has told me that there is nothing they can do. I've tried emailing the paypal member and they aren't responding. I used paypal for their so called security over other apps. Is there any advice on this subject??
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.