I recieved money from a stranger

Blamo
Contributor
Contributor

So I gave a stranger my paypal info and he gave me $5 for free with no catch whatsoever. But there's just an inkling I have that my life could be over because I accepted this money and I need some genuine advice. 

Is what I did safe???

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Callie

Hello @Blamo

Thanks for reaching out to the PayPal Community with the question. I can understand wanting to make sure you continue to stay safe while using our services. It is quite possible that your information is still safe, it just depends on what you shared with this person. 

If the only information you provided was your email address, then you should be okay. An email is common to share since it is the main way people receive money with PayPal. Now, if you shared your password as well, you will definitely want to make sure you change your password and security questions. You can also change your email address associated with PayPal as well if you have a different one and you're concerned about them having that. Those steps can be found here. As for receiving money from someone you do not know, here is more information on how to be eligible for protection

I hope you continue to stay safe! 

- Callie 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.