I just ebay purchased the wrong item and trying tor each the seller

muellerguy
Contributor
Contributor

I realized I had purchased an item that wasn't what I needed. Right after I paid via paypal I noticed my error. Unfortunately I have to depend on the seller to cancel the order and refund. What happens if they refuse and ship the item?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@muellerguy 

Yes most will comply, however that is not what you asked.

You asked what would happen if they refused?

Well as they do not HAVE to cancel as it was your mistake then just re-sell it yourself.

That is the correct advice as a seller does not have to cancel a finished auction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@muellerguy 

Then as the seller has done nothing wrong, why don't you list it and re-sell it on yourself when you receive it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

muellerguy
Contributor
Contributor

the seller cancelled the transaction since it was within minutes that I realized I had made the wrong purchase  I've done the same for sellers who found the shipping cost was more costly then they had quoted. I suggest to all to contact the seller or buyer immediately after the purchase to cancel because most are kind and considerate so will comply. If you wait too long and the item is processed for shipping then the advise to keep it or sell it when it arrives is the proper advise.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@muellerguy 

Yes most will comply, however that is not what you asked.

You asked what would happen if they refused?

Well as they do not HAVE to cancel as it was your mistake then just re-sell it yourself.

That is the correct advice as a seller does not have to cancel a finished auction.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

muellerguy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did ask that question and your answer is correct. I didn't mean to imply it was otherwise. Buyers and sellers in general are reasonable so after years on ebay I've never had an issue that couldn't be worked out but this was a first for me since the ad was clear on the item description in the headline but in the finer print it added a detail  which I hadn't read. My fault alone because I didn't take the time to read all the description. I fully know that an auction win or purchase is a binding contract so I need to be more careful. Thanks for your answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.