I cannot use my PayPal balance to pay for online service?

Revoltrax
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to subscribe to Soundcloud Pro Unlimited service. I do not have money on my credit card but I have on my PayPal balance.

When I want to pay for the service, soundcloud gives me the classic paypal pop-up windows, and the rest of the process is on the paypals side. I want to pay for it using my paypal balance but it only gives me the option to pay with my Credit Card, and it can't process the payment since my Credit Cards are empty.

How do I use paypal balance to pay for online services ( I don't think "Send & Request feature is an option since this is an automated service ).

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Revoltrax

For some transactions ie virtual / digital / expensive / high risk Paypal sometimes block you using the balance and ask you to use a card instead OR at least have a back up card with funds available.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Revoltrax

For some transactions ie virtual / digital / expensive / high risk Paypal sometimes block you using the balance and ask you to use a card instead OR at least have a back up card with funds available.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Zingapuro
Contributor
Contributor

But why? In my case, I have a Canadian PayPal address with USD funds, and I'd like to use those USD funds to pay for a USD recurring subscription (for one year) -- why can't I use my PayPal balance, which has more than enough?  PayPal insists on using my Canadian bank account and I don't want to pay for it in CAD.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Zingapuro

Subscriptions are 'scheduled' payments and as such can't be scheduled to come out of your paypal balance in case there are no funds in there when the subscription is due.

Just like PAD used to be it has to be from a bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Zingapuro
Contributor
Contributor

That seems fair, except that I've selected my PayPal balance as my "Primary Source".  So the money should be taken from the balance first, _then_ taken from the bank account. And this should be clearly stated.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Zingapuro

It would be for normal transactions but as i said it can't be for 'scheduled' transactions.

They can ONLY be funded from your bank account as already said.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ho1
Same situation here. I have balance in my account, it is in the same currency as the service I am trying to subscribe, but paypal ask me to add a credit card instead of allowing me to use my account balance. Did anyone solve this issue?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ho1

Yours is not the same.....

You can use funds in your paypal balance 'as long as' they are in the correct currency and not pending.

BUT for some transactions ie digital / virtual or higher risk AND at 'some point' anyway Paypal will ask you to add a card to act as a back up funding source and to verify your Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Wahg
What do you mean "digital / virtual"? Every transaction using PayPal is digital/virtual! I simply wanted to donate a mere £4 on a Facebook charity page. I have an ample balance in GBP. But it forces me to pay by credit card. In which case: what's the point? Might as well just pay using the credit card directly! Why would I pay using my credit card through PayPal?! Ridiculous.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wahg

Not every transaction is digital / virtual.

If you send a PHYSICAL item IN THE POST then that is not digital / virtual.

But if you sell an evoucher or online account then it is.

As those types of transactions are of a higher risk then paypal will often ask you to add a card to buy them OR act as a back up funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.