How to change "we'll use your balance first" for payments

karenevanspics
New Community Member

I do not want PayPal using my balance first. I have automatic payment accounts set up to charge my credit card, but I see that even though it says in the specific account that payments will come from my credit card, underneath where it says that, it says "we'll use your balance first." It says that on all my automatic accounts even though I have credit card payment selected. How do I stop PayPal from using my balance first? I want all charges to be paid only by credit card, not my PayPal balance. Any ideas? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HonorBound 

If you read the thread you will see that everyone already knows about that option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rock4Jesus777
New Community Member
I’ve been hoping for a solution to this as well. I have “Preferred Payment” set to my main bank account but when I make a purchase it takes my balance. And sometimes it still doesn’t use my preferred method, but my other bank account that only gets one deposit a month. This has cost me a couple hundred dollars in the last month because it wouldn’t use my preferred payment method. Frustrating. Has me about ready to pull out of PayPal.
Login to Me Too

elsidster
New Community Member

I had this problem trying to update my Netflix account to use my credit card and not my balance. I would unclick the use balance first, it would unclick, I would save and everything would seem to be fine, then I would go back and check and the use balance first would still be checked.

Under the Payments>Automatic Payments>show active, I had six Netflix accounts set for automatic payment. Every time I had tried to enter my new information, it made a new automatic payment account. I deleted five of them, and with only one left, unclicked use balance first, and everything's all good now. Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

Leah96xxx
Contributor
Contributor

The option to disable this for each individual automatic payment has been removed. Editing the payment method no longer allows to to disable using your balance first.

Please fix this Paypal! Forcing us to use our balance to pay for subscriptions totally defeats the purpose of having a balance in the first place.

Login to Me Too

tjc2005
Contributor
Contributor
This is ridiculous. I've been charged for 7 months from my balance for Netflix. I had only just realised. PayPal is pathetic. I'm contemplating getting rid of it. Also, why is this topic marked as solved. It most certainly is not.
Login to Me Too

Wisenheimer
Contributor
Contributor

I fully agree. This is pathetic. We deserve an actual response. This isn't solved.

Login to Me Too

rubytuesday1981
Contributor
Contributor

This helped me a ton! This is the answer! 🙂

Login to Me Too

dieterdde

Doesn't work for me so I removed all my debit cards. I tried to contact customer service but that seems impossible in Belgium. When clicking contact us, you just get referred to online help articles, and when you want to log an issue in the resolution center, there is no option just to talk to someone to explain the issue. Terrible, terrible, customer service, surely all to minimize any running costs to support customers via call centers.

Login to Me Too

Plasticsand
Click on the settings icon at the top right. Go to the fifth selection "Payment Preferences". Click on "in-store purchases" Turn off selection to use my balance first. Like magic when you go back to online purchases PayPal balance will not be on top anymore.
Login to Me Too

thinkjarvis

The accepted solution does not work and never did work.

This has caused me a nightmare for my accounting. The amounts landing in my account no longer match invoiced amounts because when I receive a payment from Paypal and then buy something the balance I withdraw doesnt match the invoice!

If you run an Ecommerce store and then buy something using the same account and it uses the balance you will have to match the partial payment in your account!

Sort it out paypal! Absolute Joke! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.