How to change "we'll use your balance first" for payments

karenevanspics
New Community Member

I do not want PayPal using my balance first. I have automatic payment accounts set up to charge my credit card, but I see that even though it says in the specific account that payments will come from my credit card, underneath where it says that, it says "we'll use your balance first." It says that on all my automatic accounts even though I have credit card payment selected. How do I stop PayPal from using my balance first? I want all charges to be paid only by credit card, not my PayPal balance. Any ideas? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

HonorBound
Contributor
Contributor

I found something that may be helpful.  Complete the following:

From the home page, go to your settings  (click the gear icon next to "Log Out")-->  Payments --> Manage Automatic Payments link --> click the icon/link that corresponds to your auto payment (e.g. hulu, netflix, etc)--> under Payment Method, click the edit icon next to your payment info (its a pen and paper icon--> under "Choose the way you pay" you will see a blue, slider button that says "Use balance first". Click that button then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Save" button.  You should receive an immediate email saying "This email confirms that your preferred funding source for use with your Billing Agreement with Hulu has been changed."  

Then you should be good to go. 

Unfortunately, you will have to do this for every automatic payment you have setup. I haven't found a way to make the "Use balance first" option turn off by default for all accounts.  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karenevanspics

Withdraw your funds first before purchasing anything?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

karenevanspics
New Community Member

Well, that's definitely an option, but not the solution I was looking for. I want to prohibit PayPal from withdrawing funds from my existing money and use my charge card, like I originally set up to begin with. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Vlox08
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever find a solution for this?
Login to Me Too

jcp411
New Community Member

Any solution? I'm assuming the next best solution is setting up a seperate Paypal account just for these transactions that way there won't be a chance of a balance. Thoughts? 

Login to Me Too

Vlox08
Contributor
Contributor
That’s not a bad idea! I think I will do that instead! Thanks!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jcp411 @Vlox08 

Things have changed in some countries since this thread was started and you may be able to do this....

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > second down click on update next to your prefered way to pay and put a dot in one of the options listed.

However just to mention that you are only allowed x2 paypal accounts if x1 is personal and the other x1 is business, if you have x2 of the same type then you risk them being limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vlox08
Contributor
Contributor
I wish i could attach a pic but when i do this, “PayPal balance” is not selected but a credit card is. But all automatic payments still take from balance first and if i don’t have enough balance, then it pulls from the cc.
Login to Me Too

cazthelion

This doesn't work for me. I already have a card set as my preferred way to pay, but any automatic payment still comes from Paypal balance first.

Login to Me Too

Ponosunrider
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't work. I click on profile>payments , but there is no Update option. There is "Manage Automatic Payments", and "Your preferred way to pay". Neither of these give the option to stop using balance first.

Under Automatic Payment, each subscription I have my bank as my payment preference, but below that it still says "We'll use your balance first". I guess there is no choice in this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.