How soon do I get a refund from PayPall after Seller (Home Depot) cancelled my order?

Elgin648
New Community Member

My account summary says "This is a temporary authorization to make sure your payment method will cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when The Home Depot completes your order." My issue is that home depot will never complete my order because it's been cancelled by them due to manufacturer problems. I sent PayPal a copy of Home Depots cancellation email but haven't heard back from them? I contacted Home depot and they said they haven't received funds from PP but PP has electronically withdrawn the money from my account. So is PP waiting for HD to let them know my order has shipped? because that's not going to happen. If anyone can shed some light in the subject i'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Elgin648 

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

schwaddell
New Community Member

Thanks, kind of a ridiculous policy.  Home Depot just canceled a $1,000 order, but PayPal has locked the funds up for 30 days. 

Safe bet is to not use PayPal for retail purchases.  Lesson learned.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@schwaddell 

Nothing to do with paypal, companies are allowed up to 30 days to process orders and if not they time out.

If they processed the order and then cancelled they could refund much more quickly and you would not have to wait 30 days.

As for using paypal thats up to you and does not affect anyone on here so couldn't really care if you do or don't to be honest.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.