How long to debit bank account

Vickster75
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I purchased a product via my PayPal which is connected to be debit card 10th may. This showed on my pending bank transactions straight away but after a few days it has disappeared. There is still no sign of it debiting my bank account over a week later. How long can it take?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Vickster75,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, when you make a payment and fund the transaction with your card, the amount is immediately charged once the transaction shows as 'Completed' in your PayPal account. If you paid using your card but the amount was not charged, it may be that the transaction on your PayPal account was still 'Pending'. This may happen for multiple reasons such as, for example, if the amount is 'Unclaimed' or if you made an authorisation. In the first case, you can cancel the payment from your PayPal account. In the second case, an 'Authorisation' is an agreement between buyer and seller and the payment will be completed only if the merchant processes and confirms the order. The difference with a normal payment is that, usually, the authorisation remains pending until the merchant decides to process it and if this does not happen within 30 days, the amount is automatically reversed. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Vickster75
Contributor
Contributor
Hi sorry this still doesn’t answer my question. Goods purchased 20 days ago via PayPal which is linked to my debit card. PayPal confirms transaction has been completed and I have received the goods. However, there is no sign of the amount debiting my bank account, almost 3 weeks later. Usually the transaction is showing on my banks pending list the same day the transaction is completed. (This is my online food shop order which I use weekly and I have used since this issue without a delay of it debiting my bank account) My question is, how long can it take to debit my bank account? Transaction is completed on PayPal so they see no problem and the merchant has received their money (albeit not from my account) so they are not chasing either. No one is concerned apart from me.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.