How long for a refund to actually happen?

Andreslr6

Hello. Last night I made a wrong purchase on Ebay and requested a refund. I payed with my debit card but somehow it automatically linked it to my PayPal account or I don't know. The thing is that I got an email an hour later saying that the seller made the refund and that it would appear as “Paypal deposit” on my debit card's statement. I woke up today and checked my debit card's statement and so far the only thing showing is a PayPal withdrawal, from the wrong purchase I made, but still no refund from PayPal. How long does it usually take Paypal to give me back my money from the moment the seller does the refund? Thanks in advance. * just hit refresh on my account statement before posting this and still no deposit.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK, so for you it was outside of your PayPal account.

Here's what I think happened.

You made a VISA payment for an item on eBay.  Ebay uses PayPal to process all credit card purchase payments.  PayPal is the merchant account holder for eBay sellers, so all credit card purchases pass through PayPal.  PayPal passes the purchase price on to the credit card account.  You would only see the purchase as from PayPal (along witht eh seller's name, name.

As for a refund, it would have to be processed from the seller's PayPal acocunt since that's where the money went.  (When a seller has a direct merchant account it would be documented quite differently.)

What should happen is that PayPal (on behalf of the seller) will intiate the refund from the seller's PayPal account to your credit card.  It will take several days.

I will not be in your PayPal account as you didn't use your PayPal account.

I hope it's clear. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

First, what debit card?  Many banks of debit cards, so bank and brand really matters.

Is there a PayPal transaction on your account?  What does it show?

Details matter before providing better answer.

Login to Me Too

Andreslr6
Hey thanks. It's a VISA from Wells Fargo. I have just checked my PayPal account and there's no mention about that transaction in my activities. The purchase does not show up. At checkout in Ebay I had the option to pay with PayPal, Paypal credit (6 months) and credit/debit card, I chose payment with credit/debir card, but when I did the refund the email I got mentioned PayPal would refund. My bank card does show a PayPal Purchase though.
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK, so for you it was outside of your PayPal account.

Here's what I think happened.

You made a VISA payment for an item on eBay.  Ebay uses PayPal to process all credit card purchase payments.  PayPal is the merchant account holder for eBay sellers, so all credit card purchases pass through PayPal.  PayPal passes the purchase price on to the credit card account.  You would only see the purchase as from PayPal (along witht eh seller's name, name.

As for a refund, it would have to be processed from the seller's PayPal acocunt since that's where the money went.  (When a seller has a direct merchant account it would be documented quite differently.)

What should happen is that PayPal (on behalf of the seller) will intiate the refund from the seller's PayPal account to your credit card.  It will take several days.

I will not be in your PayPal account as you didn't use your PayPal account.

I hope it's clear. 

Login to Me Too

iy
New Community Member

Shouldnt there be something in her Wells Fargo account saying there is a pending transaction or something of the sort?

Thank You

Login to Me Too

superior54880
New Community Member

so let me get this straight i bought an item on ebay with my debit card did not have any sort of paypal account then i made a return to ebay i had to create a paypal account to get the return shipping label and pay for it i did that returned the item and had my refund sent back okay so now that my refund has been issued will it go into my bank (in 30 or so days) that i used to buy the item or will it go to my newly created paypal account (that was not used in this transaction) where i have to physically go in and transfer it back into my original bank account??

Login to Me Too

Sirchucklee
Contributor
Contributor
My account shows a pending payment of the hotel deposit.
Login to Me Too

Sirchucklee
Contributor
Contributor
I used my pay pal not my my PayPal MasterCard debit card
Login to Me Too

Cokebasket
Contributor
Contributor

My paypal account shows it's been refunded however it's not in bank account yet.   Smiley Frustrated

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

it does not go to your bank account,you have to transfer it yourself

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.