How long does an authorization hold last?

ebs_b
New Community Member

Just wondering if this is normal - I put through an order to a company, but the payment does not go through on their part, yet the payment seems to go through because the funds are gone from my account and on Paypal it says that the payment is under authorization. I called the company, and they have no record of the order and have not received the payment. Does this mean the charge on my card will be refunded if they do not accept the payment? How long will this take?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ebs_b wrote:

Just wondering if this is normal - I put through an order to a company, but the payment does not go through on their part, yet the payment seems to go through because the funds are gone from my account and on Paypal it says that the payment is under authorization. I called the company, and they have no record of the order and have not received the payment. Does this mean the charge on my card will be refunded if they do not accept the payment? How long will this take?

If the payment has not been captured by the merchant, the pre-authorization will drop off of the pending section of your account activity after a week or so.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ebs_b
New Community Member
@sharpiemarker wrote:

@ebs_b wrote:

If the payment has not been captured by the merchant, the pre-authorization will drop off of the pending section of your account activity after a week or so.

K i will keep checking! thanks!

Login to Me Too

Boymom23
Contributor
Contributor
What if the purchase has already went through completed activity and it still says authorization in pending activity?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Boymom23 

The seller should only be able to capture payment once. The second one should expire and drop off. in a week, or no longer than 30 days.  If it also becomes completed, then click that transaction, then click "Report a problem" and see if there is an option to report duplicate payment, if not file an Item Not Received (if you need to change the dispute reason to Not as described later, you can) and ask the seller to refund the duplicate payment in the dispute. Include transaction ID of the first payment to illustrate that you have paid for it already to resolve the issue. If the seller is not forthcoming, escalate the dispute to a claim so PayPal can step in and review and rule on the case.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Cblackburn
Contributor
Contributor

i'm having the same issue.... tried to purchase airline ticket with delta, the transaction didnt go through so got cancelled... the funs are on hold and have been on hold now for over 18 days.

Delta have no record of this transaction so there's nothing for them to accept or decline and yet, i'm being slammed back and forth between them and paypal.

I just want my money back so i can purchase this ticket to go bury my parents.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.