How long before a refunded transaction appears in my PayPal summary?

johncrago
Contributor
Contributor

I have a merchant Ancestry.com.au who refunded my un-requested subscription fee 6 days ago, but is is not showing in my PP Summary.

They are a legit company and I called their Australian office today and they have confirmed they have done the refund at their end.

I contrast this with a Click Bank refund that appeared almost immediately after being requested.

Why am I seeing the Click Bank refund, but not the Ancestry.com.au refund in my summary?

Ancestry is a legit company, and I have no doubt that they are being honest when they say the refund has been done.

I'm posting here because the PayPal office is virtually impossible to call and speak to a human. I'm sure our ACCC would have something to say about a major organisation like PayPal being so impossible to contact.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johncrago 

If you funded the original payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded it will automatically go back to that bank account or card. Paypal say allow 30 days although its normally much quicker than that, country dependent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

johncrago
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kernowlass for your prompt reply.

However my issue is that the refunded transaction is not appearing as 'marked refunded' in my PayPal Summary.

I am aware that once a refund appears in my Summary, it can take days, or even a week or so to actually make its way into a bank account. It is the fact that is has not yet appeared in my PayPal Summary as 'Refunded' that I am questioning.

Even though Ancestry say they refunded the amount almost a week ago, it is not appearing in my Paypal Summary as 'Refunded'.

I've been a PayPal user for many years, and whenever a merchant has applied a refund, it always appears in my summary as 'Refunded' almost immediately, but certainly within 48 hours.

Ancestry have confirmed the refund has been made by email, and also by talking to their support phone number yesterday.

I cannot report this issue using any of the options available in the "Remediation" area as it they have not done anything fraudulent, etc.
I have pasted their confirmation text below.

MY Question is...  what do I do re this refunded transaction not appearing in my summary. There seems no option available to bring this to the attention of a human in PayPal 🙂

Regards,

John <removed>

<email from Ancestry 6th Feb>

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to canceling your subscription.
We are sorry to hear you no longer wish to continue with your membership and we hope you have enjoyed your time with us.
Your subscription has been cancelled immediately and you will have no further billing from Ancestry. We have issued a refund of $249.99 to the account that was billed originally. It can take 7-10 business days for your financial institution to post this amount to your account.Your confirmation number for your cancellation is: 233850568 .

<original PayPal payment 3rd Feb>

Payment sent  to Ancestry Information Operations Company3 February 2020 at 6:53:30 PM AEDTPayment type: Debit cardPayment method: -$249.99 AUD - VISA ending in   x-<removed>This transaction will appear on your card statement as PAYPAL *ANCESTRYAU

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @johncrago,

I'm sorry that the refund transaction is not showing up in your PayPal account. It sounds like the merchant believes that they have refunded the payment, but may not actually have done so. If a refund were issued, the transaction would show as refunded in your PayPal account. Only once the refund is showing in your PayPal account has the refund actually been issued. Please check with the merchant to inquire. They may have made a clerical error on their end.

I hope this can be cleared up quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.