How can i tell if a payment has been sent through friends and family as the receiver of the money?

elianlangwasser
New Community Member

Hello so I own kind of a small business I guess you could say and I get alot of payments through paypal so my question is, how can i see if a payment has been sent using the friends and family option. Is there a difference between a payment sent through friends and family and pay for goods and services. Or do they just look the same? I don't want people to refund after they've gotten their product that's why I am asking.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@elianlangwasser 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

A friends/family payment does not incur a fee so you would know if it was sent that way and also would not contain the buyers address as there would be nothing to send as its a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.