How can I make eBay paymens always charge my card in the invoice currency?

bjornmu
Contributor
Contributor

eBay payments used to be "one-click" so that I just click pay and it was paid as long as I had logged into PayPal once. But recently, many payments now require me to log in. In those cases I now also get the option of choosing whether to get charged in my own currency (NOK) or in the original invoice currency. That would be USD, EUR, GBP, CAD or AUD. I have been tracking these, and see that when I choose to pay in the foreign currency, I always get a better exchange rate. From 1.27% to 2.36% better. I compare what PayPal say I *would* be charged in NOK to what I *actually* get charged.

But in the cases I get the one-click payment, I do not get to choose and it always charges in NOK. I don't want that! But I cannot find any place where I can change my preference, I have to manually change this every time. Is there any way to change the default? I *think* this is decided by PayPal and not by eBay though it's not always easy to tell.

And if not, is there some way to disable the one-click payment, either in general or for a particular purchase? I have one coming up (in fact, it ticked in just now) which is $150 so I really would like to get that charged to my card in USD. In addition to the better rate, my card is also linked to my SAS frequent flyer program and I get more points for usage in foreign currencies.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bjornmu 

Ebay is a completely separate company to Paypal and are phasing out paypal and putting in their own 'managed payments' systems.

So they are generally discouraging paypal so i guess one click was part of that.

Although i would never use it as if your ebay account was hijacked they would have access to your paypal account as well to pay for ebay items.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bjornmu
Contributor
Contributor

I did not find out how to disable the "one-click" but I did find out how to change the currency for those cases. There's a link to the left where I can change the payment settings (or something like that) and then I get the same login popup with the option to change. I have no clue why some payments use "one-click" and some do not. Maybe it depends on whether the seller provides other payment options.

I would not mind so much if they disable the one-click option but I would prefer to be able to use PayPal since I already have it and also use it other places. I don't know if I like the sound of "managed payment"....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.