How can I get a refund from a Paypal retry payment

Paradox-USA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

So I had this automatic subscription of 59,99 USD for Avast going on without knowing, I decided to cancel the subscription and ask for a refund on PayPal, which I got. However, my bank denied the transaction since I didn't have enough money on my savings account (only account linked to my PayPal).

In the end, nothing was charged on my account and the bank was nice enough to not fine me.

Until, 5 days later I see a new charge of 59,99 USD (received for processing) (pending?) on my bank account. ( "03/31/2020 PAYPAL RETRY PYMT 200324 AVAST AV AVA").

So I added more money to my savings so I don't get fined for going under 0.

And now, somehow, I would like to request a refund for it, but there is no transaction ID on my PayPal account to refer to, how can I solve this and get a refund from a "Retry payment"?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

rnatividad
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @Paradox-USA 

Sorry to hear about the hassle.

Since PayPal couldn't cancel the request to the bank even after the transaction was refunded, there appears to have been an automatic second attempt. Since this second attempt is approved, PayPal will receive it within up to 6 business days. If the payment to Avast was in fact refunded, the refund should be sent back to your bank as soon as PayPal receives the money from your bank which may take another 6 business days. Overall, you should get your funds back to your bank within 6-12 business days from when that charge happened. 

I hope this helps. Stay safe! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

rnatividad
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @Paradox-USA 

Sorry to hear about the hassle.

Since PayPal couldn't cancel the request to the bank even after the transaction was refunded, there appears to have been an automatic second attempt. Since this second attempt is approved, PayPal will receive it within up to 6 business days. If the payment to Avast was in fact refunded, the refund should be sent back to your bank as soon as PayPal receives the money from your bank which may take another 6 business days. Overall, you should get your funds back to your bank within 6-12 business days from when that charge happened. 

I hope this helps. Stay safe! 

Login to Me Too

Paradox-USA
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer, I guess I will wait for now and see what happens. Hopefully, I will get that refund!

Login to Me Too

Tarantula1
Contributor
Contributor
Hey there, this same thing is happening to me and I’m working on disputing it with my bank. I’m wondering if you ever got your refund? Mine is over $300 so I’m worried
Login to Me Too

Paradox-USA
Contributor
Contributor
It should resolve itself after 9 to 12 business days. It did it for me, if not just file a dispute again you should get a refund in your bank account
Login to Me Too

Phil19901
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me for 1000. If it truly takes 6-12 business days I'm going to get kicked out of my home. This is ridiculous
Login to Me Too

Rhiraldo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

This just happened to me, I am wondering if you ever got your money back?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.