Homeowners Association

pilose
Contributor
Contributor

Can a not-for-profit homeowners association use PayPal to accept dues from members without having a website?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Yes - there's a few options.

* You can send an invoice to each member of the HOA.

* You can send an email with a payment link to each member.

* You can use a PayPal.Me link in an email - works similar to the email method above.

* If you do a monthly email news letter, you could include a payment link.

* If you currently have a Business Account, you could also setup a dues subscription whereas once the member signs up, they are bill the same amount each month automatically - note, the member would be required to have a PayPal Account for this method.

* Members who have PayPal accounts can also send you money via their account using the Send Money feature for Goods and Services.

Bottom line, the above methods are not too much trouble if you have a small group however, if for example, you have 100 owners, it's much more efficient to have them visit a single web page that has a basic form (Buy Now type button) verses sending out 100 emails each month.  Members could pay as guest with a credit card or via their PayPal Account.

Recommend a that you have a Business Account for managing the HOA dues.  If you have a Personal Account, that may work to get started however, depending on the frequency and volume of collecting dues, you may be prompted to upgrade to a Business Account.   Also there are transaction processing fees to consider - 2.9% plus $.30 per transaction.   For example, if your HOA dues are $100 a month, PayPal would get $3.20 and the balance $96.80 would be deposited into your account.  You cannot apply a surcharge - meaning the member pays the processing fees.   The work around would be to charge a "handling" fee, you find more about this in the User Agreement.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Yes - there's a few options.

* You can send an invoice to each member of the HOA.

* You can send an email with a payment link to each member.

* You can use a PayPal.Me link in an email - works similar to the email method above.

* If you do a monthly email news letter, you could include a payment link.

* If you currently have a Business Account, you could also setup a dues subscription whereas once the member signs up, they are bill the same amount each month automatically - note, the member would be required to have a PayPal Account for this method.

* Members who have PayPal accounts can also send you money via their account using the Send Money feature for Goods and Services.

Bottom line, the above methods are not too much trouble if you have a small group however, if for example, you have 100 owners, it's much more efficient to have them visit a single web page that has a basic form (Buy Now type button) verses sending out 100 emails each month.  Members could pay as guest with a credit card or via their PayPal Account.

Recommend a that you have a Business Account for managing the HOA dues.  If you have a Personal Account, that may work to get started however, depending on the frequency and volume of collecting dues, you may be prompted to upgrade to a Business Account.   Also there are transaction processing fees to consider - 2.9% plus $.30 per transaction.   For example, if your HOA dues are $100 a month, PayPal would get $3.20 and the balance $96.80 would be deposited into your account.  You cannot apply a surcharge - meaning the member pays the processing fees.   The work around would be to charge a "handling" fee, you find more about this in the User Agreement.

Login to Me Too

HopeNorris
New Community Member

Be careful, we are a local alumni association and are set up to collect dues etc.... I added our new President to our account and now PayPal has placed a limitation on our account until we provide proof that we are a business. We aren't, we're like a girl scout troop. It has been a major cluster F$&K dealing with PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.